Glycerin soap base recipe using these ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taniaa

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wanting to recreate a soap base similar to a gorgeous soap that I used sometime ago. It had lovely transparency, and was alcohol free and vegan. Ingredients used were coconut oil. palm oil, safflower oil, glycerine, purified water, sodium and oat protein.
Can anyone share or direct to me a recipe that utilises only these ingredients. Thanks.

Ingredients used were coconut oil. palm oil, safflower oil, glycerine, purified water, sodium and oat protein.
Assuming that "glycerine, purified water, sodium" are part of the process and "oat protein" is an additive, I think this recipe would work for you:

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS
Use the % of coconut oil and palm oil. Substitute safflower oil for the % of olive oil in the recipe.

The OP's ingredients reads like an incomplete list of ingredients for a soap base made by SFIC.

Glycerin alone as a solvent doesn't make a nice Melt and Pour soap; more solvents are needed to do a good job. And you can't make soap with just "sodium"; you need "sodium hydroxide." It's possible the seller edited the real list to eliminate any "scary" ingredients. Or they just made an honest mistake.

The full list of ingredients probably reads something more like this -- Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin, Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Oleate, Oat Protein.

Brambleberry sells a product with these ingredients -- SFIC LCP Clear Melt And Pour Soap Base | BrambleBerry

Here's a link to the ingredients lists for all of the SFIC soap bases -- http://www.sficcorp.com/pdfs/mp-ingred.pdf

I saw a Brazilian soaptuber showing how to make soap base using glycerin as the only solvent. She was following instructions Kevin Dunn gave on a lecture: use any recipe and add the total recipe weight in glycerin after cook. Perhaps there is more info in his book, but I don't have it.
She tried two recipes and said it worked, but then she moved somewhere humid and the soap base was too sweaty. And it wasn't fully transparent.

She was following instructions Kevin Dunn gave on a lecture: use any recipe and add the total recipe weight in glycerin after cook.
That works indeed. Glycerol as the only ingredient in a polyol solvent “blend” isn't very sophisticated (problematic remeltability, intense sweating), but viable. You might go away with the oil weight in polyols; you're on the safe side with the soap weight (oils+lye+a bit of water).
Coming up with a real polyol blend is still superior/advisable, since you have many parameters to optimise for remeltabiltiy, clarity, sweating, hardness, stickiness, price, label appeal etc.

I saw a Brazilian soaptuber showing how to make soap base using glycerin as the only solvent. She was following instructions Kevin Dunn gave on a lecture: use any recipe and add the total recipe weight in glycerin after cook. Perhaps there is more info in his book, but I don't have it.
She tried two recipes and said it worked, but then she moved somewhere humid and the soap base was too sweaty. And it wasn't fully transparent.

Here is a link to an article/lecture by Kevin Dunn dated 2017: A Guide To Transparent Soaps - Wholesale Supplies Plus

I could not find a youtube video of the lecture to which you refer (or the Brazilian youtuber referred), but I didn't spend much time looking. But I figured that the lecture must have been at a soapmaking conference of the same year, although it could have been a previous year. Of course, I could be wrong about what year the lecture would have taken place.

ETA: I found this paper with Kevin Dunn's name on it as a co-author from 2013, so the lecture that soapmaker was talking about could have been much earlier than 2017.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links!

She said she attended one of his lectures in Germany. Here are her videos:

Soap 1:

Testing 1:

Soap 2:

Testing 2:

Thank you. I see in the third one she references Dr Kevin Dunn in the credits below the video. Sadly, I don't have an inkling of understanding Portuguese, and the auto-translate leaves a lot to be desired, so I didn't watch any of them all the way through. But I did get a hint (just barely) of the problem that high humidity was creating with the resulting soap she made.

In any case, it was fun searching for more of Dr Kevin Dunn's lectures and papers and interviews. I found something totally unrelated to this topic that applies to another thread here & if I can find that thread again, I plan to post a link, as he is such a wealth of information and he communicates it so well, IMO.

Latest posts

Back