Glycerin rivers or lye heavy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slspencer

Reaction score
It seems like this year sucks in general even for my soap making. I keep having new problems pop up, I've never seen this before in my soaps and I'm just making sure that it's not a lie issue. After cutting it there were some scraps and I then ph tested it and it seems fine, but what about the rest of the soap with all these lines are they just glycerin rivers or Is this lie heavy lines? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have had glycerin rivers before they just never looked like this. Here is one of my soaps that does have glycerin rivers

Attachments

• 20200731_103832.jpg
    20200731_103832.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 15962140579864060474942499845549.jpg
    15962140579864060474942499845549.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 54
For starters PH strips aren't going to tell you anything useful. You need to zap test the soap. That's the only way to know if there is excess lye. And, if you're pretty sure there is I wouldn't test it for awhile. Those look like stearic spots. You're going to need to post your recipe and process. Along with temps, additives etc.... then we can better help.

For starters PH strips aren't going to tell you anything useful. You need to zap test the soap. That's the only way to know if there is excess lye. And, if you're pretty sure there is I wouldn't test it for awhile. Those look like stearic spots. You're going to need to post your recipe and process. Along with temps, additives etc.... then we can better help.
On the white and pink one those aren't stericks spots that's from my wire cutter. The questions I have are for my pink and purple striped one.

i like the layers and gold lines

looks like little rivers in your layered soap
cool your soap faster after gelling for less

*edited to add
line the wire rack because metal triggers dos

Last edited:
https://vm.tiktok.com/J29SHX7/This is a link to the making of the soap. You can see that I thoroughly mix the lye water in with my oils and I mixed the micas in by hand and with my blender so I am pretty sure it was mixed enough. I will do a zap test in 2 days just to be sure though.

I think steric can show as swirls as well as spots. I have seen this happen a couple of times. It was always in a black soap made with palm.
Looking at the video the soaps slight texture is captured in the light when the soap is poured from the *glass bowl for colouring
in addition to the slight crackle effect to the right
the pattern inside the soap follows the centre pour from the video

Sarah glass is etched by caustic and will eventually shatter
Stainless or #5 plastic is safer

Back