Glycerin River..and Advice???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edible soap??? Ugh! When I was naughty as a kid my parents used to "wash" my mouth out with soap:oops: I don't know how anyone could find edible soap appealing!

Some of the soaps I've seen do look edible! Cupcakes and coconut ice that look so much like the real thing they could be mistaken for it. Mind you, I think you are right, one bite and you would learn your lesson :)

Generally people who say they're using, say, a lilac EO don't know any better, are regurgitating what they've been told by the seller, are indulging in wishful thinking, or are trying to pull the wool over others' eyes. It's generally not an issue of people thinking an infusion is an EO although I'm sure that's happened too.

I've seen that too with vanilla EO - as far as my research goes there is no such thing. I have a bottle that the seller labeled as "EO", but on my soap labels I list it as an FO.

I have a lovely blend of FO and EO for my "Stress Relief" scented soap with eucalyptus EO and herb garden FO since I don't like the mint that's typically used for "Stress releif" blends.

As Dee says, you can mix them with no problem. EOs are made up of aromatic chemical compounds. So are FOs. One just happens to be made in nature, the other in a lab.

Yeah, it's all about personal preference. My particular preference is to not mix EOs and FOs if I can avoid it. For example, if I want vanilla mint soap, I use mint EO and vanilla FO, b/c mint EO is pretty cheap so I don't actually keep straight mint FO in my stock. But if I make lavender vanilla soap, I will use lavender FO and vanilla FO, and not lavender EO. When I scent with EOs, I only use natural colorants. Lots of crafts like mix EOs and FOs. I made an orange EO soap for my sister and used some citrusy FO to help anchor it.

There's nothing wrong with blending EOs with FOs. Some fragrance oils even have essential oils as they come from the manufacturer. Sometimes an EO is less expensive than a synthesized fragrance chemical, so they use the EO. Clove, citrus, and lavandin are examples.
Thanks, learn something everyday. I will keep that in mind. I wasnt to sure because of the chem in each. :p

Auntie Clara did some in depth research into glycerine rivers. You can read her initial post on it HERE and another one HERE
Her entire site is full of useful information so I'd recommend bookmarking it.
BOOKMARKING FOR SURE. I think I had glycerine rivers last year and didnt know what it was. It wasnt much, so I left them thinking they looked sweet! :lolno:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back