Glycerin in lip balms

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Is glycerine water based? I had been using it in my personal lip balm/chapstick, but now I wonder if it is actually water based, which would then make my lip balm require a preservative. :?

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that glycerin(e) is oil soluble

Glycerin is a water soluble conditioning alcohol , that is an extremely effective moisturizer and humectant.

Kitn

I read in an article recently that glycerine can cause blistering to the skin if not diluted 3 parts water to 1 part glycerine.

How can this be incorporated into an oil-based lip balm? Or can't it? I was thinking that glycerine would be a nice addition to lip balm, but don't exactly understand the way it can be used. I feel slightly dense.

Here's the recipe I used:
0.5 oz. cocoa butter
0.5 oz. coconut oil
0.6 oz. avocado oil
0.5 oz. beeswax
0.5 oz. mango butter

I made this lip balm last night and for the most part it feels great However, I notice that after a little while, even though my lip balm is still slick on my lips, the actual lips start to feel a bit dry.

This is where i was hoping glycerine would help, but didn't think it would incorporate into the ret of the ingredients. Am I right or way out in left field?

I've got a couple of recipes for lip balm (actually more like gloss) that call for glycerine. I've used glycerine in other things, but these recipes always make my lips "burn". Same for a couple of my friends, but others don't seem to have a problem. Figured I was just sensitive. Anyway, none of the recipes I have that include glycerine have water in them - except for a room spray. It will incorporate into your ingredients just fine. Melt your waxes & hard oils first, then add the liquid oils & glycerin & mix 'em up.

You could be right. Next time I make this, I'll cut the glycerine by a third or so & see what happens. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back