Glue for Shaving Brushes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

federalist

Reaction score
Have any of you tried making your own shaving brushes? I need advice on how to attach the knot to the handle. I am thinking of just gluing it on, but I need an adhesive that is waterproof, durable, and non-toxic. Any suggestions?

My broken chair is on its way to becoming a shaving brush.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

I don't mean to be discouraging, but this very subject is something that professional brush makers struggle with. Shedding bristles is the most common complaint with cheap brushes. I don't have any advice other than that you should search or ask this question on the forums over at badgerandblade.com.

Marine epoxy is very strong and waterproof. If Sea Wolfe shows up or email her, she may have a brand to suggest. I do not remember what we used when we had our boat. Sea Wolfe works in the Marine enviroment.

I will also mention that the hair shank is probably hand tied like a wig. It is not going to be just a matter of sticking hair in a glue. Look up hair extension and wigs making, new glue and methods have come out in that industry also. I would look up hand tying, just hot gluing will still cause fiber loss

Last edited:
If you want two part epoxy, I need to go check at work on Monday unless my mind kicks into high gear in the meantime cause I can't remember what we use.

Another crazy good adhesive is 3M 5200 like this (but check elsewhere for better prices) http://www.westmarine.com/buy/3m--5200-polyurethane-adhesive-sealant--P004_127_002_507 We use it all the time and joke that you have to cut out what youve stuck together if you want to make a change, cause its there for good.

If you want two part epoxy, I need to go check at work on Monday unless my mind kicks into high gear in the meantime cause I can't remember what we use.

Another crazy good adhesive is 3M 5200 like this (but check elsewhere for better prices) http://www.westmarine.com/buy/3m--5200-polyurethane-adhesive-sealant--P004_127_002_507 We use it all the time and joke that you have to cut out what youve stuck together if you want to make a change, cause its there for good.
I just knew you would have an answer :):mrgreen:. Sometimes my brains goes into fail mode and I just do not remember what we used, but I do remember it was 2-part

Typically we use 2 part for filling things - like fairing a hull. We use 5200 to stick things together - like making sure the lift hooks on the whaler are solid. But I'll try to get a better list on Monday :)

I will also mention that the hair shank is probably hand tied like a wig. It is not going to be just a matter of sticking hair in a glue. Look up hair extension and wigs making, new glue and methods have come out in that industry also. I would look up hand tying, just hot gluing will still cause fiber loss

shaving knots come preglued, you just have to glue them into the handle with a good glue.

Badger_Hair_Shaving_Brush_Knots.jpg

Back