Gloves

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckster51

Reaction score
I need to find some new gloves for soap making and around the house chores. I would prefer that they be mid-arm length and have enough heft to allow me to fold back a cuff. I would also prefer that they be lined. I looked for an hour or so online yesterday and gave up. The reviews are horrible for most gloves, and the ones that I used to buy have really gone sharply downhill in quality. Does anyone have a recommendation? My hands stay in terrible shape most of the time, especially in winter. I need to find some new ones pronto.

I've recently been using the Hardy-brand Extreme Heavy Duty 9-mil thickness nitrile gloves (size medium), which are nicely form-fitting to my hands. I found them at my local Harbor Freight. I really love them for their long-lasting durability, and also that the arm length goes 3" past my wrist and can be folded over and still be 2" past my wrist. They are not lined, but I have my own lining trick for that. I wear form-fitting, washable/reusable, cotton spandex gloves underneath, the kind that folks wear to bed after slathering lotion on their hands. They fit perfectly under the nitrile gloves, and because they've got spandex in them, my hand/finger movement is not constricted. They are like having a second skin. I use my glove combo for soaping, for washing dishes, for cleaning my bathroom, etc.... they are quite the hand-saver, and very comfortable.

IrishLass :)

I use these for most household tasks and use Nitrile gloves from Costco for soap. I just have to have thinner when I am actually mixing my soap batter together. The above gloves come in different lengths and last a very very long time
https://www.mcmaster.com/gloves sorry the link does not go to the exact gloves. These are the gloves I use Oil- and Acid-Resistant Gloves they are found under the Chemical Resistant option for gloves

I've recently been using the Hardy-brand Extreme Heavy Duty 9-mil thickness nitrile gloves (size medium), which are nicely form-fitting to my hands. I found them at my local Harbor Freight. I really love them for their long-lasting durability, and also that the arm length goes 3" past my wrist and can be folded over and still be 2" past my wrist. They are not lined, but I have my own lining trick for that. I wear form-fitting, washable/reusable, cotton spandex gloves underneath, the kind that folks wear to bed after slathering lotion on their hands. They fit perfectly under the nitrile gloves, and because they've got spandex in them, my hand/finger movement is not constricted. They are like having a second skin. I use my glove combo for soaping, for washing dishes, for cleaning my bathroom, etc.... they are quite the hand-saver, and very comfortable.

Thanks, IL! I will look for these today. My hands are actually sore, so this information is much appreciated. I had not thought to wear cotton gloves underneath, another great tip!

I use these for most household tasks and use Nitrile gloves from Costco for soap. I just have to have thinner when I am actually mixing my soap batter together. The above gloves come in different lengths and last a very very long time
https://www.mcmaster.com/gloves sorry the link does not go to the exact gloves. These are the gloves I use Oil- and Acid-Resistant Gloves they are found under the Chemical Resistant option for gloves
Thanks, Carolyn. I will check these out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear form-fitting, washable/reusable, cotton spandex gloves underneath, the kind that folks wear to bed after slathering lotion on their hands. They fit perfectly under the nitrile gloves, and because they've got spandex in them, my hand/finger movement is not constricted. They are like having a second skin. I use my glove combo for soaping, for washing dishes, for cleaning my bathroom, etc.... they are quite the hand-saver, and very comfortable.

IL, you are a life saver! I have been struggling with a box of "one size fits all" gloves. I happen to have a set of those bedtime gloves (horribly neglected and lingering in my night stand drawer) so I will be giving this a whirl tonight. I think it will give enough fill to the gloves so that I don't feel like I'm fumbling around the extra glove material.

Back