Glitter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
It being Christmas, I'm looking at making some Christmas Bath Bombs. I've been considering glitter to decorate the tops. I have these adorable 9 oz cups to fill with fizzy bath bombs/solid bubble bath. Peppermint scented. This is going to sound like an odd question but is it ok to just use glitter you get from the craft stores? I've never thought about it before since it isn't something I commonly use.

Edit: I should say that I've bought a few from the soap suppliers but there aren't any of them near me. The shipping times have been horrible and it's even worse now with Christmas. I wanted to get the bombs done so I can sell them this weekend at market. I dug through everything and I think I've found a good crafters choice glitter to you. Not much left so I hope it's enough. I only got one of the sample bags.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure glitter from the craft store might be pretty scratchy in places you do not want scratchy things, if you catch my drift. The other concern is that most glitters from craft stores are not biodegradable, so when they go down your drain they could end up having a negative impact on the environment.

I'm pretty sure glitter from the craft store might be pretty scratchy in places you do not want scratchy things, if you catch my drift. The other concern is that most glitters from craft stores are not biodegradable, so when they go down your drain they could end up having a negative impact on the environment.
Good point.

eco-glitter/bio-glitter is the way to go! FizzFairy.ca is having a sale right now.
I live in the US. I think it would take a very long time to get across the border right now. But you have a very good point about ecoglitter. I'm not looking forward to having to ship anything or receive shipments for the next month. Prices just majorly increased for shipping everywhere and it's still taking forever.

Cosmetic mica approved for baths (often written as approved for general use including lips) by the FDA would be a safer choice; you can't even use all cosmetic micas in the tub due to the contact with mucous membranes so I'd assume a lot of ingredients in craft glitters would be unsafe.

Since you're located in the US, I'd check out Mad Micas' collection of bath-safe micas. I LOVE their 1/4 oz jars, I find them more manageable than the sample bags and worth the extra cost. Nurture Soap is another great option for mica, but I prefer MM for small quantities due to the tiny jars. :)

ETA: Oh, you could also join a soaping destash group on Facebook or check the destash listings here to see if anyone is selling extra mica! That would probably be faster than ordering from a vendor right now.

There are lots of places you can get cosmetic biodegradable eco-glitter. I've heard good things about Thegoodglitter.com, and I know Wholesales Supplies Plus, Nurture Soap, and Bramble Berry all sell it.

Nurture is definitely worth a look. I have a few of their glitters and they have consistently shipped on the faster side in my experience.

Latest posts

Back