Glitter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been watching soapy YouTube videos and noticed that alot of the soapers use glitter on the tops of their soaps. This has never really appealed to me until I made my Christmas soaps this year. I sort of wished I had a little to sprinkle on top! Now, of course, I have a bunch of questions!

1. Do you use glitter on your soaps? Why/why not?
2. Does glitter pose any problems for tub drains?
3. Can you use any old glitter?
4. After his experience with twi sparkly daughters, DH wants to know if he will sparkle after his shower.

Thanks!

I haven't tried glitter, so I can't answer any of your questions, but I have seen some people use decorating sugar. I was thinking about trying that myself, but not til after I get all the holiday soaps done! I would guess you would have to prevent gel when using it.

I swore I'd never use glitter until a soap I made for Christmas was covered in thick ash that really trashed it's appearance. Now I have 5 different colors.
Trouble is, most glitter is PET plastic and it does get washed out to sea, and I feel guilty using it. Nurture has a few biodegradable ones!

No, you can't use any old glitter! Needs to be skin safe and/or cosmetic grade - I'm not sure on the correct label. I bought mine at Nurture and trust Carrie's stringent care to know it's safe for soap use.

Last edited:
I use glitter on a lot of my soaps. My go-to is WSP Iridescent Super Sparkle. It just makes things sparkle without adding any color. I also have a lot of Nuture's colorful glitters. Like all of her products, they are really nice.

I don't see an glitter left on skin or tub after bathing. I also don't notice any in my drains when I've cleaned them.

I highly recommend getting a glitter poofer bottle. It makes it so much easier to avoid getting "craft herpes" everywhere and lets you direct the sparkle where you want it. :)

Glitter is awesome... plus it lets me channel my inner Kaylee:

tumblr_lr5o24TrdI1qh9122o1_500.jpg

1. Yes, I use glitter in some of my soaps but not always
2. Never had any plumbing issues from using it
3. Only use cosmetic grade glitter, not craft store stuff
4. You will not sparkle after washing with glittery soap, that only happens with leave-on products like lotion

I'm a big fan of the Super Sparkles and Black Onyx glitters from Nurture. And as a bonus they're both part of Carrie's new biodegradable glitter line, highly recommend!

https://nurturesoap.com/collections/biodegradable-glitter

Back