Glitter. I just don't get it.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK. Somebody please explain the purpose of glitter on your soap. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos to learn techniques and get ideas. I don't get the glitter. I have used glitter for other crafts. It gets everywhere and won't come off! Why do people put glitter on soap? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the soap, getting clean? Doesn't the person end up with glitter all over them that they can't get off? Maybe that's a "girly" thing to do? (I am not a "girly" girl.) Oh, and food. Someone put food on their soap (stuff you decorate cakes with). That's odd, too. Doesn't it melt and get sticky/yucky, or invite bugs? I just can't imagine taking a shower with candy on the soap. Weird.

I like glitter although I wouldn't call myself much of a girly-girl! I use it somewhat sparingly to give a sparkle to my tops. It just rinses off after the first use or two. I haven't noticed any sticking to me after showering or washing my hands.

I've also used cupcake sprinkles on my soaps. They just dissolve. I use sugar or honey in most of my batches so figure it's basically the same thing.

This batch I made yesterday must horrify you. LOL

IMG_0140_zpskklgh4oe.jpg

This batch I made yesterday must horrify you. LOL

IMG_0140_zpskklgh4oe.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! No, just kidding. They are really cute. I would put them on a cake plate as a decoration. I wouldn't use them.

I have used honey a couple of times and I didn't think about that. I guess I just assumed the lye burned the sugar and made it to away? Yep. I'm a chemist.

Thanks for answering my questions. It makes sense now. I guess I was really thinking more like "glitter bombs" than a very light sprinkle. Oh, and I was also thinking about the urban legend where the lady used her daughter's washcloth to freshen up before her GYN appointment only to find out the kid was saving it for after school because it had glitter on it.

Yeah I don't get the glitter thing either. Although I've used it a couple of times to brighten up some Christmas soaps, it won't be a habit due to my concern with people getting it into their eyes, and also what the possible long term environmental effect will be (like those little cosmetic micro-beads that are impacting the waterways and fish) (http://www.npr.org/2014/05/21/31315...eads-in-soap-may-pose-problem-for-great-lakes

I don't sell and don't have insurance, so give away a lot of soap and like to know it's as "safe" as possible.

I hate glitter on soap, too! Unfortunately for me, I made a soap once and tried out the glitter. Ya - now I always have to use it on that bar. I am seriously considering getting a dedicated mold for it. I find that stuff everywhere, after. Yuck. Some for sprinkles - candy on soap? I just don't get it either.

Hahaha! You guys are cracking me up! The only time I use glitter is when I'm using a speed-of-light accelerating FO that I can't swirl or do some other fun technique to. So I add one color to the batter, mix in the bad FO, and quickly get it into the mold. I'm like Relle and have to have a bit of bling so sprinkle the top lightly with glitter. Gotta have that pop!:lol:

resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-glitter-all-the-things-e26be9-640x480.jpg

I love glitter, if I could get away with it I would cover myself in it and run through the woods:shock:

I don't have issues with glitter sticking to me or getting all over the kitchen. I might get a little over spill on the mold and possibly the table but a damp paper towel takes it right up. I use superfine skin safe, and it washes off the bar first use.
How do you guys apply your glitter? I dip a straw in it and gently sprinkle over the top. I've seen videos using little squeeze bottles and its awful messy. I've used a small make up brush before too but its makes a uneven layer.

Last edited:
I love glitter too. It's just so sparkly and shiny. My husband hates it as its all over the place. It makes me smile. My customers seem to like it too. I do make some without though.

I put mine in a salt shaker, but it really isn't ideal. I want to poof it better for the sides of things and have a little more control. I've seen the poofer bottles in videos, but haven't seen any for sale anywhere. They remain a mystery...

I do my girly soaps with glitter and/or mica drizzles, and my more natural and manly ones without the sparkles.

I like glitter for some soaps and not for others! It depends on the look I'm going for with the soap? It sparkles and catches the eye and lends a certain something

Its never enough glitter to really hurt anything and it all washes off, unlike glitter in say bath bombs where it clings to your skin and makes you look like a sparkly fairy princess

thats of course assuming a shower

Obsidian - I use a tea strainer. I put about 1/4-1/2 tsp in then gently bump it against my left thumb while holding it in my right hand. Goes on fairly evenly and doesn't make a big mess all over the mold or counter.

Why do I use glitter? Because on some soaps it looks good. No there is no other reason other than it selling the soap. Does it stick to you? Nope the beauty of soap is it washes the glitter off you as well as the soap. No I don't use it all the time, it depends on the look of the soap.

Some people like chocolate, some people prefer vanilla. Some people like glitter, some others, (like me) prefer unglittered. And this is a good thing, because at a craft fair with multiple soapmakers, we all have our own individual style, and there are customers with different tastes, to go around. In the happy world of soapmaking, there's room for all of us!!!

groups_cuddle.gif

resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-glitter-all-the-things-e26be9-640x480.jpg

How do you guys apply your glitter? I dip a straw in it and gently sprinkle over the top. I've seen videos using little squeeze bottles and its awful messy. I've used a small make up brush before too but its makes a uneven layer.

I buy the small refillable salt shakers from Walmart and they work like a champ! No muss, no fuss. If you do that, just be sure to get shakers with the smaller holes to help control the amount of glitter coming out. :)

I find that if you use body safe glitter it washes off, never sticks to anything and pretty much dissolves after the first use. I've never had a problem cleaning it up or having it everywhere like you get with craft glitter that isn't body safe.
On some soaps it really does enhance the look. Same with the candy beads, however those little things DO get everywhere, don't dissolve as easily as the glitter and are a PITA to clean up after soaping.

I'll admit, I'm a glitter-ho. I use it, love it, and wish I had more of it! Seriously though I don't use it all the time, just for when I think it may lend some sparkle and bling to a certain theme or design. I use the skin safe glitters from Mad Oils and love them. I've never had issues with sticking to my skin post shower, and the mess it leaves behind on my soap mold and table is easily wiped off with a damp towel. I find mica clean-up more messy than glitter!

And I've used the sugar pearls and sprinkles on my soaps and soap cupcakes without any problem either. They just simple melt away with the water. The reason I don't use the cute sugar pearls much anymore is because they're always falling off my bars once cut and dried a bit. Unless you push in each and every one really well, they tend to just do that. But like a previous poster said, we all have our likes and dislikes, it's what makes us individual soapers. And it's the same thing for our customers, some want bling and colorful designs, where others can't fathom that at all and just want a great, plain bar of soap. :D

Back