Glitter. I just don't get it.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this reminds me of youtube video that is very crude *and* hysterical. I'd post it, but I'd don't want to offend anyone. However... search for "clitter" on youtube. The end credit warnings make me giggle uncontrollably.

Almost forty years old? Check!
Still have a juvenile sense of humor? Check!
Sparkle Babies!

All this reminds me of youtube video that is very crude *and* hysterical. I'd post it, but I'd don't want to offend anyone. However... search for "clitter" on youtube. The end credit warnings make me giggle uncontrollably.

Sparkle Babies!

I know exactly which one you are talking about. I'm even older than you, and I still find it hysterical.

I don't use glitter, but I do like to use either gold mica, bronze mica, and/or diamond dust mica on certain batches of my soap to give the bars an iridescent sheen. As soon as I'm done cutting my soap (when it's still a little tacky), I dip a brush into a little bit of my mica and brush it all over the soap in a very scant/thin layer- just enough to make my bars catch the light, but without getting a bunch of mica all over my hands when I pick the bar up.

As for food- I do make a few foodie soaps, but I only use that which can be finely pureed so that it gets soaked all over and throughout by the lye in order that no mold buggies grow. My favorite foods to use are avocado puree, carrot juice or cucumber juice, not to mention milks. Oh- and I also like to use honey and baby oatmeal.

I love the look of those candy pearls on soap, but I don't like the thought of using them on my soap, so I use VanYulay's silicone BB mold to make soapy pearls instead. I also love the look of berries on soap, so I also have a few of VanYulay's silicone fruit molds as well (raspberries, strawberries, and apples). I also have a few of their rose molds to make little soap roses. I really love their molds, can you tell? lol

IrishLass :)

Sparkle Babies!

OMG! Easy applicator wand, haha. You need to check out wobbly sausage on youtube.

Each to their own I say, if you like glitter go for it if not don't. I'd never question why someone does or doesn't glitter their soap

I just made a pink ombré with glitter on top as the scent is fairy dust so seemed it would go well!

Surely it's just a personal preference like why do I love lard soaps

The (soaping) world would be boring if we all liked the same things

I think like huge heaps of glitter would be bad, because someone IS trying to get clean with the soap. A little pop and shine is great, especially because most of us are addicts and we've moved to making decorative soaps of some kind. I like a tiny sprinkle of glitter, a brush of shimmery mica, mica in the top, and I just about cannot make a clear M&P anymore without putting mica in it to make it glittery! So I guess that counts as a type of glitter--just not glitter-sprinkled-on-top glitter.

Of course it all depends on your soap scheme--I have had people ask for a true non scented, no color soap, and of course glitter would be a no-no on that one. (What a frownie-faced soap to make--but at least it's making soap, yes?)

I've read differing opinions on food additives too, that leave me pretty confused, so I've been pretty much staying away from food additives until I read more. I've read that food additives can up the spoilage of your soap, and I've read that food additives can add properties to your soap. I'm not sure how those properties would survive lye, so again, I'm still researching. I suppose it would depend on how you do it, what food it is, when it's put in there, what purpose, etc, and would open up a whole other can of worms.

I do use candy sprinkles and a sugar recipe for my bath bomb cupcake frosting, and a soap frosting combo and bath bomb bottom, but of course those take forever since the soap cures. I use all soap for my soap cupcakes--base and frosting. I like jojoba beads for the decoration those--and glitter!

Sparkle Babies!

OMFG!!! So funny!!!

Just remember if you are going to the gynaecologist, maybe not use the glitter soap just in case or use it, if you want to surprise :-o.

Of course it all depends on your soap scheme--I have had people ask for a true non scented, no color soap, and of course glitter would be a no-no on that one. (What a frownie-faced soap to make--but at least it's making soap, yes?)

I always offer an unscented, uncolored bar for those who have problems with additives. But I've never seen those bars in any kind of negative light. They're still handmade soap, with fabulous ingredients, and that makes them pretty amazing!

I think it is amazing how adorable some of the soaps are that people make with glitter and candy and sparkly stuff.

Personally, I am a soap minimalist. I don't like the idea of using glitter or food. I don't even use milk in mine, as I like to keep it very simple. I actually am not even a fan of fancy coloring or swirls and have never even attempted a swirl.

I stick to plain old rustic hot process soap, sometimes colored with oxides. (Mica is even too sparkly for me! LOL!) I do use fragrance oils, as I am in love with smells. I have tried a lot of various oils and butters and have gone back to my first recipe I ever tried, as I like that one the best. :)

I am hoping that others will like my soap once I start selling - I do live in Maine, so that might help. We're pretty simple up here. :)

I'm not a HUGE fan of glitter on soaps, but I do appreciate the appeal it has. I personally would not buy/use a soap with candy on it, though, I LOOOOOVE the way it looks. I would take the time to make a bunch of tiny little balls to utilize JUST for this purpose-in lieu of candy. I know SEVERAL people that would go NUTS over glittered soaps, they buy them by the buckets. I can't imagine the mess it makes in the shower...I'm a bit of a clean freak...

I personally would not buy/use a soap with candy on it, though, I LOOOOOVE the way it looks. I would take the time to make a bunch of tiny little balls to utilize JUST for this purpose-in lieu of candy.

I just bought a mold (per IrishLass's suggestion) from Vanulay that will make 444 little candy sized beads. You could make a lot in one go!
I did this because I have a tuxedo soap, (pic attached) but the little black beads, after about 3 days, gets a green halo glow around them due to the pH levels. So this mold will make them the same size. Like you say, it's a better alternative to the little candy beads. :)

Love the little tuxedo buttons, J! Great tuxedo, generally. What are the scent and the name? I am thinking "Perfect Man" and "007"/"Shaken not Stirred" :)

I used a mixture of Black Amber & Linen (NG) with Golden Embargo (Mad Oils) It smells DIVINE!! Very masculine and exactly what a man should smell like when wearing a tux - IMO.
The mixture overheats though, so I had a little crack in the top. I'm glad I looked at it when I did, or it would have volcanoed, so I need to always keep it uncovered and well ventilated when soaping this scent mixture.

I love how the way I mixed the top, it also looks like this particular tux soap has a bow-tie (use your imagination!) Not all of them do, which is why I took a pic of this particular bar. :)

I totally saw the bow-tie when I looked at it, I wondered how you got it. So it was soap serendipity! I really like NG's Black Linen and Amber, too, haven't tied Golden Embargo yet. This makes me want to make a batch with Black Linen and Amber.

I totally saw the bow-tie when I looked at it, I wondered how you got it. So it was soap serendipity! I really like NG's Black Linen and Amber, too, haven't tied Golden Embargo yet. This makes me want to make a batch with Black Linen and Amber.

It's a really easy effect to get when soaping too. If you can't figure it out by looking, all I did was take 2 cut to length pieces of that flimsy cutting board that some people use as liners, duct tape them together along one edge. After pouring half the mold with the black, I inserted my homemade divider right down the middle of the mold, and opened it up and smashed the soap to the sides to get the "V" of the black. Then after it was set enough (usually do that then mix up my white) take the divider out and pour in the white. I always leave a little of the black and a little of the white and plop it on top and do a sort of smashed swirl, and viola - Tuxedo soap!
I was only going to do 3 buttons, but got carried away. 3 or 4 tops is a much better look though.

Latest posts

Back