Glitter discoloration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbipbip

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and could not find any post that addressed this issue, so I hope this is not a repeat.

I have been making soap for about 5 months now, so I have a little experience under my belt. I am in no way a pro yet, but I have made a lot of soap in that time. I am definitely obsessed. I made a Mother's Day soap tonight and used a color of glitter I purchased from Fizz Fairy, which I understand has a great reputation. I am ecstatic with some of the colors I purchased :) I love them all.

Back to the soap...I used one of the glitters for the first time. The soap was beautiful. I came back in about an hour to check it, and the glitter has turned red all over the top of the soap. I am so disappointed. I can't find any information on what may have caused it. Can the glitter melt??? I think the soap is gelling. It is a goat milk soap, and mine almost always gel. I know the temperature got up to around 120.

Would this be a melting problem or a chemical reaction problem? I use a lot of Eco/Bio glitters, and this is the first time this has ever happened. I will attach pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6896.jpg
    IMG_6896.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6900.jpg
    IMG_6900.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 23
I don't know 'Fizz Fairy' but to me it sounds like a bath bomb glitter which might not be stable when in contact with lye? I would check with the supplier and see if they say it's good to use with lye based soap.
How disappointing! Such a beautiful top! But it's not ruined - remember nobody knows that it wasn't meant to be red. It's our secret ;)

How long ago was this made? Could it be just a color morph that might go back?...although I've not personally seen purple to red before. Like KiwiMoose said it might just not be soap stable.

Thank you for the responses. I didn’t think it was a very common issue. I haven’t found anything online about it. I have emailed the supplier. We will see what they say. I do hope it goes back, but with it being glitter, I don’t have high hopes of that. I am going to wait until I know it has saponofied and then try to sprinkle the end to see what happens. Maybe I can cover most of it.

How long ago was this made? Could it be just a color morph that might go back?...although I've not personally seen purple to red before. Like KiwiMoose said it might just not be soap stable.
It was made last night. The color morph happened about an hour after. It started in the middle and spread out to the ends. That’s why I thought it may be a heat thing?

Back