GLDA, a modern alternative to EDTA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GLDA is sold in three different forms a powder, a 38% solution and a 47% solution. The powder is hygroscopic so be careful to store it carefully if you end up with this version.

In my day job I have used this product (the 47% solution) in replacing EDTA in household and industrial cleaning products and it worked very well. So there should be no reason that it wouldn't work in soap.

@SaltedFig I'm not sure who you spoke to but the distributor for the Dissolvine brand in Australia is IMCD. They will generally only sell in large volumes but they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who is willing to resell the product in smaller lots. Alternatively you could approach one of the soap suppliers and ask them to get in some for a trial.

The GLDA is sold in three different forms a powder, a 38% solution and a 47% solution. The powder is hygroscopic so be careful to store it carefully if you end up with this version.

In my day job I have used this product (the 47% solution) in replacing EDTA in household and industrial cleaning products and it worked very well. So there should be no reason that it wouldn't work in soap.

@SaltedFig I'm not sure who you spoke to but the distributor for the Dissolvine brand in Australia is IMCD. They will generally only sell in large volumes but they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who is willing to resell the product in smaller lots. Alternatively you could approach one of the soap suppliers and ask them to get in some for a trial.
Hi Justjacui,
Buying bigger lots isn't a problem if a few of us share it.
Where are you buying yours from for work?

This is quite interesting. However, since it is derived from MSG, does anyone know how likely it is to trigger reactions in people who are sensitive to MSG (migraines and/or taking MAOI)?

Susie has an excellent point about the potential MSG reaction. Does anyone have an answer? My DH has a severe sensitivity to MSG and it's final breakdown to glutamic acid. If this ends up in my soap and then absorbed by his skin, that could be a big problem.

I have sent emails to each of the suppliers asking where these products are sold. If / when I receive a response I will share the information. @Susie, one of them is in Plano - Viachem - don't know how close that is to you in your great state of Texas!

It is actually in the DFW metroplex (which is where I live). Thanks for the info, I am going to look them up.

The Viachem website offers a "Request a Sample" here:

https://viacheminc.com/product/glda-chelate-dissolvine-gl-47-s/

Spoke to a very nice gentleman regarding the sample. Problem is that they only sell in drum sized portions. They will send a sample of the 47% liquid formulation (hygroscopic and is shipped over the ocean) to someone. Problem is that I am waiting for 2nd cataract surgery, waiting for cardiac ablation, and my daughter in Mississippi just informed me that she needs surgery. So I can't take lead on getting this sample and sending it out to folks. Whoever would like to contact him, here is his contact info.

Jared Cole
p: 972-265-0416
c: 903-818-6561

And whoever it is, please let us know the quantity he sent and if it is a lot, you can let us know how much handling and shipping (don't forget cost of containers if you have to purchase any), so that you will not be out anything for doing something super nice.

Last edited:
I haven't tried GLDA. GLDA didn't seem to be quite as effective as EDTA based on the info in SaltedFig's first post, and I was a little concerned about that. It also doesn't seem to be widely available to the home crafting market.

I'm considering testing sodium gluconate instead. It may be as effective as EDTA if you can believe the manufacturer Jungbunzlauer -- https://mafiadoc.com/powerful-green-the-versatile-chelating-agent-_59c42b6b1723ddcaf4d6f74f.html And it's sold by various craft suppliers.

I haven't tried GLDA. GLDA didn't seem to be quite as effective as EDTA based on the info in SaltedFig's first post, and I was a little concerned about that. It also doesn't seem to be widely available to the home crafting market.

I'm considering testing sodium gluconate instead. It may be as effective as EDTA if you can believe the manufacturer Jungbunzlauer -- https://mafiadoc.com/powerful-green-the-versatile-chelating-agent-_59c42b6b1723ddcaf4d6f74f.html And it's sold by various craft suppliers.
That sounds promising! Thanks for sharing the info.

I've tried sodium gluconate. I did a bubble test and it performed at least as well as CA (I know it is only a chealator not like EDTA). I do not know how to test if it is as good as CA, EDTA or whatever. Do you just take the manufacturer's word that it does? It is really expensive here (compared to CA) and I have to buy at 25kg bag. I am sticking to CA until I can get a better supplier or someone to share it with.

Thanks for the feedback on sodium gluconate. No, I don't necessarily swallow the manufacturer's information without chewing, but it's the best I can find at the moment. I figure some info is better than guessing.

I know you're in Australia, PJ, and I'm sorry I can't help you find a cheaper source. In the US, looks like sodium gluconate isn't horribly expensive -- I'm seeing prices from $3 to $7 for one pound. Cheaper per pound if you buy larger quantities, but 1 lb would do me fine for quite awhile.

One source, not necessarily the cheapest: https://www.makingcosmetics.com/Sodium-Gluconate-USP_p_1103.html Another: https://www.makeyourown.buzz/sodium-gluconate/

Last edited:
Curious, @cmzaha, why you use both? I certainly don't think there's any harm in using both chelators, but what advantage do you see?

Curious, @cmzaha, why you use both? I certainly don't think there's any harm in using both chelators, but what advantage do you see?
To be truthful I do not know that there is an advantage but a product my daughter purchases to use on her hair to help with the hard water deposits contains both and I am wanting to use up my 5 lbs of Tetrasodium EDTA, so it lead me to try both. My daughter has not tried the soaps side by side long enough to know if there is any difference in using the combination. I really doubt it makes a difference. Originally I was going to make her shampoo bars, but the shampoo and conditioner she buys works well and is more cost-effective so I suggested she use what she buys.

So I use 0.5 percent EDTA and have the impression that sodium gluconate would be used at that same dosage. Does that sound reasonable?

I am using both at the 0.5% rate. I do notice I have even less scum in my shower and no crystals on the outside of my soap like I would get when I used to use Citric Acid. July is the first time I poured soaps using this combination so I have really just started using them, and will know a little more by next month

EDTA also makes soap hard. Not sure that SG does. One day I’m going to fly to the US and buy some soap stuff. It will be cheaper than the postage the individual companies charge

CMzaha I am wondering if your citric acid forms crystals due to your process? I don’t get crystals. I dissolve my CA in water at the time I make my soap. I don’t add it to the water before I make a masterbatch of lye.

Latest posts

Back