GLDA, a modern alternative to EDTA

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by SaltedFig, Mar 5, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #41

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I do not remember the percentages I was using, but what I started with did not help but did not form crystals on the outside of the soap, when I upped the percentage the crystals formed. DeeAnna and I realized it was the Citric Acid causing it, so I changed to Tetrasodium EDTA which stoped the crystals and helped with the soap scum. I also masterbatched up my citric acid solution.

penelopejane likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 #42

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

Just ran out of EDTA so I ordered some GLDA from Essential Wholesale. On their website, they mention a 0.5% - 10% usage range, just wondered if anyone had any insight on what would be the best usage rate for it as a chelator? I used EDTA at 0.5% of batch weight. I am thinking of trying it at 1% since it seems it may be slightly less effective than EDTA.

3. Nov 11, 2019 at 3:34 AM #43

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

This is interesting but to be honest I didn't even know EDTA existed until today. I learned soap making from my grandmother and honed it by experimenting with different oils once I discovered soap calc. I've never added EDTA to my soap and I've never had DOS even after 3 years of storage.