Glass beaker suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
I am going to try my hand at lotion bars and body butters. Can someone suggest what type of glass beakers or pyrex stuff to buy. So many to choose from with such varying price points. This will just be an occasional thing so not looking to create a whole laboratory, just want to grab a few beakers to be able to make small yield recipes. Thanks in advance for any help.

IMO there's no real benefit to lab type glassware for occasional use. Instead I use canning jars. A wide mouth pint (16 oz) jar is a good choice for most of my projects. It's heavy enough to sit securely in a hot-water bath. The mouth is large enough for a stick blender, and the jar is deep enough for the SB to do a good job. Canning jars are easy to clean, they're fairly easy to find in grocery and hardware stores, and the price is right.

I have been tempted to buy the glass beakers from lotioncrafters. However, if you will be making small amounts, and will be weighing your ingredients in a jewelry type of scale for precision, the glass container itself might be too heavy for it. I used plastic/smooth containers when using a small scale (also bought lotion crafter’s small “weigh boats” ), until I bought a larger capacity scale that still had 0.01 gram precision

I also like using canning jars, with a variety of sizes to fit my batch size.

However, if you are going to use any waxes in your lotion bars, I believe @Zing recommends using some silicone containers that are very easy to clean. The hardened wax just pops right off.

You guys are awesome as usual!! Thanks for the info. Just dipping my toes in because sometimes when I see a good price on stuff for soap I end up with so much more than I need so figured I would make an occasional body butter or lotion bar. Just hoping it doesn’t become another addiction!

What is this "dip your toes in" thing you describe?! One hit of a lotion bar and you'll be hooked! As many people know, I am an evangelist and enthusiast of lotion bars. BUT cleaning up beeswax has long been a pain in the a--. And then I discovered silicone measuring cups and the heavens parted and the angels sang. Bigtime ixnay on glass containers.

Back