Giving up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make it sound as if all FOs accelerate. They don’t. Some even slow trace. A lot of people on the forum add FOs to the oils early on so you can control emulsion/trace better. Once emulsion is reached you don’t have to go further adding FOs.

Also the FO is well mixed in so it doesn’t leak out or form oily patches that a few people who add the FO at trace experience.

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate that. I generally add mine to the whole pot of batter, while other times I add it to my individual containers--when I'm attempting to make the teardrop design. This design I'm working towards getting a perfect teardrop all the way across my loaf mold. I found that adding it as I usually do (to the whole mix) I end up with batter too thick to pour down the sides of my mold simultaneously. While the two containers I'm pouring down the length's edges is still fluid enough for other designs, it's not fluid enough to move the colors I've laid down for the teardrop. I then end up with a campfire look rather than the rounded bottom with a nice thin tail upward. The second try I planned "not" scent the two containers for my side pour but forgot so, once again, I got the campfire (lol) again. The 3rd and 4th attempt I did remember to wait and got good results--a teardrop, yeay!!

True, most times adding and combining my FO to the whole container of batter works best for me. In 'some' instances, however, ('possibly' due to the FO I'm using) it works best if added and well blended to my containers right b/4 I use them.

I have also noticed that a couple of my FOs actually thinned my batter so I make notes of this in on my recipe for future purposes. I should make a small amount of soap with all my FO so I see how each will affect my soap batter but I don't; instead, I have a plan B in case things don't go as planned. In 3 years, I've only had to use my plan B twice. I like the Bramble Berry site as they give good details about their FOs, other sites that don't have a comment section that helps with how things worked out for those using them....but sometimes there are different outcomes regarding the very same FO.

I hope (@penelopejane) I've clarified my comment well enough not to throw others off with what I stated. I have even added my FO to my oils (b/4 the lye) as I've seen others do on Youtube. Sadly, with the two times I did this I didn't have a good outcome; but, it could have been my recipe--there are so many variables that can affect soap making.

perfect teardrop

I have only tried that once and had way too much batter for the tear and the bottom layer was to thin so I wound up swirling the tear and wound up with what looked like an onion. I really want to try it again though. I think separating and sb the bottom part is going to be my hard part. but it such a cool design isn't it?

No not yet, It came from Brambleberry and is their basic lathering soap.
Hi I just wanted to make a mention that I think you and I are working on the same recipe and I also just started soapmaking as a hobby about 2 months ago, I'm really a newbie. Although it is the same recipe, what I have done is to resize my batch. You see, my batch is only 120g which is exactly one soap bar. I don't usually see people doing this because one soap bar is a really small quantity. But it's definitely doable, I've done two soap bars already. I had to learn how to use SoapCalc and BrambleBerry's calc for resizing. I mention this because I think one of the problems you've had is with cost and with soap loaves, cost can be a real factor. But once sized down to a soap bar, cost is much more manageable and you can afford to play around with EOs and FOs to see what works and what doesn't. It also allows you to get in the practice and observations for future bars/loaves. With soap bar sizes, stick blending is only 2-3 secs, then leave it alone for 15 mins for all the bubbles to come out, from what I've observed.

You make it sound as if all FOs accelerate. They don’t. Some even slow trace. A lot of people on the forum add FOs to the oils early on so you can control emulsion/trace better. Once emulsion is reached you don’t have to go further adding FOs.

Also the FO is well mixed in so it doesn’t leak out or form oily patches that a few people who add the FO at trace experience.
The trouble with FO's is finding one that really behaves itself. Lot's are on offer from loads of companies but finding ones with lots of reviews is hard work. I'm in the UK, I can find around ten or more soaping companies that sell FO then when you go to check the reviews, nothing so buying a FO blind is a minefield as an excellerating oil can ruin a batch in less than a minute.

I know. FO companies here edit their reviews too. I know because I’ve submitted some that have never made it through or have only had part of the review included. “Lovely scent but faded after 6 weeks” becomes: “lovely scent”!

I am a cynic and don’t believe that all the fragrance suppliers make their own scents. Google the name of a few of the scents of the supplier you like in the uk and find it in a US FO supplier like natures garden and read the FO description and if it matches read the reviews there.
Then check out our fragrance oil reviews:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-oil-review-chart-link.47182/

Go to the last page for current links.

Some companies may make their own or change the FO name but you can get a pretty good idea of what behaves and doesn’t.

You might also have a soapmaking uk Facebook group that does a review of large uk suppliers. Or search on SMF for uk FO reviews. Stick to the tried and true.

The majority of florals accelerate.

I have only tried that once and had way too much batter for the tear and the bottom layer was to thin so I wound up swirling the tear and wound up with what looked like an onion. I really want to try it again though. I think separating and sb the bottom part is going to be my hard part. but it such a cool design isn't it?
The trouble with FO's is finding one that really behaves itself. Lot's are on offer from loads of companies but finding ones with lots of reviews is hard work. I'm in the UK, I can find around ten or more soaping companies that sell FO then when you go to check the reviews, nothing so buying a FO blind is a minefield as an accelerating oil can ruin a batch in less than a minute.

From Bramble Berry, most that state "works well in cold process soap" have behaved; those I don't mind blending with a whisk into my thinly traced soap batter. On Youtube, some blend with a whisk and some use a SB; I've had no issues using my whisk but I whisk the FO into my batter very well. Those I purchase elsewhere (where no info is given and I find 'no' comments) I tend separate into the number of containers I have and in amounts that are appropriate for the amount of batter in each. If the FO plays well then I note that and am not worried to use it in my whole batch next time. If it accelerates then I note that and use it for designs that won't require much time. In actuality, I've only had a couple that did that.

I don't want to bother with making one bar for all my FOs, which is probably the best way to go; I find my system sufficient. The mention of portioning out FO was more for you as a heads-up that some will accelerate, then you're left with working very quickly to get things in the mold. If you haven't already set up a plan B you might kind of panic and not even have time to color anything......just have to dump it into the mold. You're left with a loaf of bland-looking soap; it still washes but I'd rather have my pretty soap than bland soap (lol). In three years, I've only had 2 FO that accelerated (with comments on them, I knew in advance) and had a plan B so I was able to color the batter and do at least a spoon swirl with one and just plopped the other (alternating the colored batter) into the mold with a spoon. Both soaps looked better than just bland/no color soap. That was in my 1st year of soaping, so far so good on all that I've used for the past 2 years.

I'll state again, it's advised from sites that don't list details about their FO to make a small test batch to see how the FO behaves. I guess I should but don't because I've had success with my own system of testing FOs when there's no helpful info.

I'm super new to soaping too, and I blame Ophelia's Soapery for it, too. :D Her stuff is so gorgeous! I highly recommend buying a few bars to give yourself a happy thing while you're working out how to make your own. It's what I'm doing and it helps soothe the frustration.

For single oil soaps that don't break the budget, I strongly recommend Zany's castile recipe and 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat. I've done both so far, but without mica, and they're beautiful. Maybe try some of the reliable essential oils like lavender?

I have bought a handful of fragrance oils, and activated charcoal & kaolin clay, but I haven't used everything yet. Have you looked at Nurture Soap? Their soap notes on their fragrance oils are more thorough than a lot of other companies I've seen.

If you don't have single bar molds, I highly recommend picking up a couple. When I did my coconut oil soap, I only used 10 oz of oil, but added 8 oz of sea salt for a good scrubby bar. My family *loves* it, and my husband has been impressed with the lather and cleansing power.

Oh! Soaping101 has some great tips & recipes! Including a shaving soap, and dollar store hacks. And if SoapCalc is problematic for you, try spending some time on it when you aren't planning to make anything. I found it before coming here... There was probably a suggestion in one of my soap books... I've spent hours on that thing, just seeing what would happen with different formulas. Eventually it started making more sense. Somewhere on this forum there are experienced soapers analyzing the details of SoapCalc, too.

I'm super new to soaping too, and I blame Ophelia's Soapery for it, too. :D Her stuff is so gorgeous! I highly recommend buying a few bars to give yourself a happy thing while you're working out how to make your own. It's what I'm doing and it helps soothe the frustration.

For single oil soaps that don't break the budget, I strongly recommend Zany's castile recipe and 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat. I've done both so far, but without mica, and they're beautiful. Maybe try some of the reliable essential oils like lavender?

I have bought a handful of fragrance oils, and activated charcoal & kaolin clay, but I haven't used everything yet. Have you looked at Nurture Soap? Their soap notes on their fragrance oils are more thorough than a lot of other companies I've seen.

If you don't have single bar molds, I highly recommend picking up a couple. When I did my coconut oil soap, I only used 10 oz of oil, but added 8 oz of sea salt for a good scrubby bar. My family *loves* it, and my husband has been impressed with the lather and cleansing power.

Oh! Soaping101 has some great tips & recipes! Including a shaving soap, and dollar store hacks. And if SoapCalc is problematic for you, try spending some time on it when you aren't planning to make anything. I found it before coming here... There was probably a suggestion in one of my soap books... I've spent hours on that thing, just seeing what would happen with different formulas. Eventually it started making more sense. Somewhere on this forum there are experienced soapers analyzing the details of SoapCalc, too.
I've seen a few of her YT videos. I'm not quite sure gorgeous is the word I'd use for her soaps. Her soaps, IMO, go beyond gorgeous but I have not had the pleasure of trying them. The last soaper whose soaps I tried was the owner Great Cakes (forgot her name DX). Her soaps are boss too.

Do be careful with the activate charcoal. That stuff gets everywhere if you let it and if you use too much, your wash rags will suffer for it.

The trouble with FO's is finding one that really behaves itself. Lot's are on offer from loads of companies but finding ones with lots of reviews is hard work. I'm in the UK, I can find around ten or more soaping companies that sell FO then when you go to check the reviews, nothing so buying a FO blind is a minefield as an excellerating oil can ruin a batch in less than a minute.

There are quite a few UK UTube soapers; two I follow are EdensSecret1 and Future Primitive Soap Company. They talk about what colorants and scents they use and where they get them from. In fact, EdensSecret1 just came out with a new video making mini cupcakes with a bunch of different colors and scents and ranked the scents on how fast they thickened up/set on her.

I only buy ‘trial’ sizes of scents the first time out (except for once) and then make a small batch of soap with it. It’s more expensive if you really like it, but way cheaper if you don’t.

There are quite a few UK UTube soapers; two I follow are EdensSecret1 and Future Primitive Soap Company. They talk about what colorants and scents they use and where they get them from. In fact, EdensSecret1 just came out with a new video making mini cupcakes with a bunch of different colors and scents and ranked the scents on how fast they thickened up/set on her.

I only buy ‘trial’ sizes of scents the first time out (except for once) and then make a small batch of soap with it. It’s more expensive if you really like it, but way cheaper if you don’t.
That's great. Thanks.

Tbh the only problems I've had with FO was with floral, I dont think I've had a bad one from any reputable UK supplier.

Try ordering something from the Soapery or Livemoor or even MNG, they dont add postage so are always good for testing. But if you want reliable FO, approved for use in the UK etc you will need to order from one of the big soap suppliers.

Just checked out Future Primiive soap co on YT, Wow! that lady is talented, mad as a box of Frogs, which I like but talented. I'd love my soap to come out like hers one day, TBH my Olive and Coconut soap has been the only recipe that has behaved as well and set as hard as hers looks, it seems the more I add like Palm, Caster, and the like the better my soap lathers but it doesn't seem to set as well. Should I add a little Sodium Lactate to help with a harder bar?

Just checked out Future Primiive soap co on YT, Wow! that lady is talented, mad as a box of Frogs, which I like but talented. I'd love my soap to come out like hers one day, TBH my Olive and Coconut soap has been the only recipe that has behaved as well and set as hard as hers looks, it seems the more I add like Palm, Caster, and the like the better my soap lathers but it doesn't seem to set as well. Should I add a little Sodium Lactate to help with a harder bar?

Mad as a box of frogs!
:lol:
This I have to see!

Latest posts

Back