Girlfriend Still Buys Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Break up with her.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not break up with her.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhillipJ

Reaction score
My girlfriend won't use my soaps and just bought a bunch of that chemical soap at the store. What should I do?

Phillip I voted not. My wife would not use my soaps for at least 6 months after I started making soap. After a few uses, her skin felt so different both to me and her that she fell in love with my soap and me all over again! :lol: Seriously, give her time. Most people don't understand how very different a good hand crafted soap is compared to store bought chemical cleansing bars. Yuck, the thought of using that stuff again revolts me...makes my skin crawl!! :lol: :lol:

Ooooooh let me talk some sense into that girl ...... j/k

have you tried to expain to her that this is better for her skin and why it's better for her skin.

Show her some research on the web about the how's and why's it's better for the skin. I know I did a bunch of research on the how's and why's it better for my customers.

And people with skin conditions do better with natural soap instead of the ones with chemicals and detergents.

Another thought is to have her look at the ingredient list on her favorite bar of soap, and research each ingredient on the net.

Then look up your ingredient list and show her about the chemical change it goes through to turn the ingredients into soap.

Oh and don't foget to cook her a romantic dinner before hand, and end the night bathing her with your soaps........ Well it's just a thought ya know........ in other words, you attract flys with honey and not vinegar....

did ya get my email ???

My hubby was extremely sceptical at first to my soaps. Then I had to go away for work for a week and while I was gone he tried my soap. When I came back, he was HOOKED!!! :twisted:

Now he even brags about my soap to his friends...

Don't take it personally hon! If you two didn't get together because of your soaps, then why should you two split because of them? I look at it this way, say you liked meatloaf and made it for dinner once a week, but your girlfriend didn't eat it. Would you break up with her over that? Soaping is certainly a whole lot of fun, but I am assuming that it is only one part of your life (I know what happens when I do that BTW!) I just think that there are bigger and perhaps better reasons to go looking for trouble than your girl not washing with your soap.

It reminds me of my knitting - I just dont give other gifts now other than knitted stuff - I FORCE it on my friends - they WILL learn to LOVE it! LOL! Good luck!

Rachelle (roro)

I said not.

But everytime you find a commercial bar.. throw it away and replace it with one of yours.. she will soon get tired of buying soap.. she will have to use it.. LOL

I voted not also. My DH still doesn't use my soaps, and I've been soaping for about 18 months now. Tho, for some reason, Pauls salt bar gets the thumbs up :evil: ( :lol: )

He is now at the point where he shaved with shampoo the other day, rather than use one of the dozen bars of shaving soap sitting on the drying racks :shock:

I have come to the point where I figure that if he want's to be like that, fine, I don't care! He's worth keeping, because he does 99.9% of the housework, and cooks dinner a couple nights a week. I'm not giving that away to any other woman out there - I trained him, I'm keeping him.

A tip for making your SO use your soap:

Try to find a scent that they LOVE. For my hubby, it is chocolate. And vanilla. Also, don't force it. It will only make it worse. Just leave it around the house, don't say anything and they might feel more inclined than if you nag them about it.

Philip, I am sure you have more to offer than soap. My husband doesn't use my soap & I never really even thoguht about it till' now :? If he sees an item of mine he likes or maybe a bar/bottle i got in a swap, I find it in the shower & snicker. I don't even think about it really.

Philip, don't take it personally. We ladies are very skeptical of new things when it comes to beauty. We'll remain loyal to a single product for decades, then be very disappointed when it finally gets discontinued. Offer to wash her feet with your soap. Our feet are covered up in the winter so she might feel OK with experimenting here. Once she sees how wonderfully mild handmade soaps are (assuming you did your lye calculations correctly! ha ha) she may be willing to try the soap on other body parts. I myself was partial to "Dial" soap for years and years and years, solely based on the commercial advertising "Aren't you glad you used Dial? Don't you with everyone else did?" :lol:

Find out what types of scents or fragrances that she likes and then make some soaps with those scents. If she really loves chocolate or coffee or some other scent make a few soaps like that to entice her to try your soap.

Chris

Thanks to all for your opinions. You all gave me some good input and ideas. Guess I'll just have to wait it out & see what happens.

another thought is how long have you been dating her and the seriousness of the relationship.

smellitlikeitis said:
Becky said:
.I'm not giving that away to any other woman out there - I trained him, I'm keeping him.

LMAO! TOO FUNNY BECKY!

He's just read my post, and grumped off to get some shaving soap out of the cupboard :lol: Mumbling something about how he can't believe I told you all that :lol: :lol:

Whatever works, right?

Becky said:
smellitlikeitis said:
Becky said:
.I'm not giving that away to any other woman out there - I trained him, I'm keeping him.

LMAO! TOO FUNNY BECKY!

He's just read my post, and grumped off to get some shaving soap out of the cupboard :lol: Mumbling something about how he can't believe I told you all that :lol: :lol:

Whatever works, right?

**** Straight !!!
Sometimes men need a good kick in the arse to get them into motion.....

Phillip

I've been married for 26 years and yesterday I came home early and found my wife cheating on me with a name brand soap! How could she do this to me after all I've put into the soap for her! This has made a better man of me and inclined me to try harder and be a better soaper and pay more attention to her needs. I say let her stay and learn from the experience.

Neil said:
Phillip

I've been married for 26 years and yesterday I came home early and found my wife cheating on me with a name brand soap! How could she do this to me after all I've put into the soap for her! This has made a better man of me and inclined me to try harder and be a better soaper and pay more attention to her needs. I say let her stay and learn from the experience.

*sigh*

now why can't my hubby be more like ya'll on here........

Back