Ghosting action

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm super psyched about this. You know how it is, holding your breath until that first cut. I've been having issues this summer with pooling essential oils on top and learned from my peeps here to soap at warmer temps. Which I did -- BUT continue to have pooling! It will reabsorb a lot in the next few weeks.
I mixed to emulsion and did 75/25 TD/uncolored. The scent is my absolute favorite that I call "Spring Clean" which is rosemary/lemongrass/cedarwood essential oils. It was one of my initial soaps years ago and I continue to make it.

Attachments

• 20210725_204232.jpg
    20210725_204232.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210725_204723.jpg
    20210725_204723.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
When are you adding your fragrance? If at the end of the cook (HP) or just before pouring (CP), then you must stir it in for one full minute before the pour. Another option, the one I use, is adding the fragrance to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. :thumbup: On occasion, I add the fragrance to the castor oil an hour or more (like overnight) before soaping. I recently did that with a Tea Tree batch and I swear it is the most smelly Tea Tree I've ever made. 😤

HTH

Somehow my brain is convinced that I'm looking on lemon-buttermilk ice cream there. 🤪😋

If you can spare two bars, can you try to store/cure them at the same place, but one upright, and the other upside-down, so that you can judge how much reabsorption (let's hope it happens again!) depends on gravity?

When are you adding your fragrance? If at the end of the cook (HP) or just before pouring (CP), then you must stir it in for one full minute before the pour. Another option, the one I use, is adding the fragrance to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. :thumbup: On occasion, I add the fragrance to the castor oil an hour or more (like overnight) before soaping. I recently did that with a Tea Tree batch and I swear it is the most smelly Tea Tree I've ever made. 😤

HTH
@Zany_in_CO, when you say "fragrance," do you mean essential oils? I make CP. Typically I blend oils/lye to emulsion. Then I divide batter by the number of colors. Then I add essential oils and mica to each. Then I stir and stir and stir, followed by a quick burst of the stick blender.
I'm intrigued by adding essential oil to castor oil befoehand.

If you can spare two bars, can you try to store/cure them at the same place, but one upright, and the other upside-down, so that you can judge how much reabsorption (let's hope it happens again!) depends on gravity?
I cure all my soaps for 6 weeks. Once per week I turn the soaps so that all sides get exposed to the air. I'm getting resigned to this pooling at the top -- the bulk of it really does get reabsorbed by the end of cure.

What a coincidence! Made soap yesterday and when I peeked on it this morning there was FO beading on top. That did not happen when I tested the FO but I’m not concerned because the only other time this happened the FO did reabsorb into the soap. This FO did accelerate the batter, but I’ve had far more extreme acceleration and the beading never happened.

Soap is weird. Soap is like parenting a teenager. If you force it to be one way, it will determine to go exactly the other way. So better to just let it be what it will be and it’s true nature will reveal itself all in its own.

Or - soap is like a redhead :p
As far as redheads going their own way?! Mrs. Zing and I are blessed with awesome children. Our youngest came out with red hair which was totally unexpected. Our oldest lives to please his parents. However, Ginger Zing Junior lives to push the envelope! We barely survived his toddler and adolescent stages, god love him. We are on vacation this week which includes hosting his college graduation party and we are beyond proud of him.

So some fun facts about some redheads. He has a high tolerance for pain, so much so that when he does complain, we take it seriously; we constantly remind him to pay attention to his body's warning system at the slightest hint of discomfort. Also, he's colorblind to the point of needing wardrobe assistance. With your gorgeous colored soaps and rocks, it doesn't seem like you are colorblind in the least, though!

As far as redheads going their own way?! Mrs. Zing and I are blessed with awesome children. Our youngest came out with red hair which was totally unexpected. Our oldest lives to please his parents. However, Ginger Zing Junior lives to push the envelope! We barely survived his toddler and adolescent stages, god love him. We are on vacation this week which includes hosting his college graduation party and we are beyond proud of him.

So some fun facts about some redheads. He has a high tolerance for pain, so much so that when he does complain, we take it seriously; we constantly remind him to pay attention to his body's warning system at the slightest hint of discomfort. Also, he's colorblind to the point of needing wardrobe assistance. With your gorgeous colored soaps and rocks, it doesn't seem like you are colorblind in the least, though!
That is correct Mr Zing. I have a good eye for colour. Yes the rumour is that redheads have a higher pain tolerance but all I have to say to that is - luckily your young Mister Zing will never have to give birth! 😱

When are you adding your fragrance? If at the end of the cook (HP) or just before pouring (CP), then you must stir it in for one full minute before the pour. Another option, the one I use, is adding the I add the fragrance to the castor oil an hour or more (like overnight) before soaping. I recently did that with a Tea Tree batch and I swear it is the most smelly Tea Tree I've ever made. 😤

HTH

Another option, the one I use, is adding the fragrance to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. :thumbup: On occasion, I add the fragrance to the castor oil an hour or more (like overnight) before soaping.
HTH

You can really do that??
Do you ever get a surprise with super fast traces? Or, even worse, seizing?

You can really do that??
If you mean add your fragrance to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution, yes. It's a neat trick for not forgetting to add it.
Do you ever get a surprise with super fast traces? Or, even worse, seizing?
I don't have that problem very often.
TIP: If a batch seizes, I leave the SB or Spoon in it, set the timer for 5 minutes and walk away. When I come back, the batch is going into gel phase. It is then easy to stir up and pour. ;)

Mrs. Zing and I are blessed with awesome children. Our youngest came out with red hair which was totally unexpected. Our oldest lives to please his parents. However, Ginger Zing Junior lives to push the envelope!
As a middle child myself, I must point out the absence of information about your middle child. We are so easily overlooked! (and have nosy tendencies enquiring minds that want to know more).

Yet more evidence that my hair follicles are the only part of me that doesn't realize I'm a redhead (so I dye it red). My pain tolerance confuses doctors terribly. Lol. The only bird that ever bit me when I handled it for wildlife rescue was a cardinal, and I always said it was because redheads are fiesty. Lol. Despite my Celtic ancestral roots, my hair roots favored my Norse genes and are thus blonde. Fortunately, a little Feria or Henna allow me to get the color that better suits my personality. Lol

As a middle child myself, I must point out the absence of information about your middle child. We are so easily overlooked! (and have nosy tendencies enquiring minds that want to know more).
Dear Jan Brady, I mean @AliOop,
We don't have a middle child to overlook. Our oldest was 9 pounds, our youngest was 10 1/2 pounds and then Mrs. Zing declared "They're just getting bigger, I am done." It was a good ratio of adults:children -- although more adults would have been helpful at times!
What's your kiddos situation?

@Zing that was just a test to make sure you are keeping up with how many kids in the fam. JK! 😂 and my bad - for some reason I thought you had 3.

Mr Oop and I have seven total, but his former spouse did all the heavy lifting with 6 of those - also increasingly bigger each time, with the last one weighing in over 10lb, as well. Coming from a family of fifteen siblings, I opted to have ONE (almost perfect) child, thankyouverymuch.😉

Back