Ghost Swirl Water/Lye Amount??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyrim01

Reaction score
Hey guys :)

I'm wanting to try the ghost swirl technique but I'm a little confused on altering my recipe.

My recipe is:
10.2oz. Olive Oil
6.8oz. Coconut Oil
8.5oz. Palm Oil
8.5oz. Canola (Rapeseed) Oil
4.7oz. Sodium Hydroxide Lye
11.2oz. Distilled Water

I know how to divide my oils into 2 or 3 equal parts, but I'm confused on changing my lye solution. I need one solution at 44% NaOH and 56% water. And another solution at 30% NaOH and 70% water. How much ounces of lye and water do I need for each solution and how do I work it out?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Hey guys :)

I'm wanting to try the ghost swirl technique but I'm a little confused on altering my recipe.

My recipe is:
10.2oz. Olive Oil
6.8oz. Coconut Oil
8.5oz. Palm Oil
8.5oz. Canola (Rapeseed) Oil
4.7oz. Sodium Hydroxide Lye
11.2oz. Distilled Water

I know how to divide my oils into 2 or 3 equal parts, but I'm confused on changing my lye solution. I need one solution at 44% NaOH and 56% water. And another solution at 30% NaOH and 70% water. How much ounces of lye and water do I need for each solution and how do I work it out?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Divide your NaOH exactly the way you divide your oils.

2 equal portions of oil, 2 equal portions of NaOH
4.7 oz / 2 = 2.35 oz for each portion

3 equal portions
4.7 oz / 3 = 1.57 oz for each portion

Once you know the NaOH amounts, you can figure out the water. Lets do the 2 portions as an example. The formula is:

(NaOH Amount / Percentage) - NaOH Amount

For 30% lye strength:

(2.35 / .30) - 2.35
7.83 - 2.35
5.48 oz water

For 44% lye strength:

(2.35 / .44) - 2.35
5.34 - 2.35
2.99 oz water

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. Also, does it matter that the two portions of water (5.48oz + 2.99oz) doesn't equal the original 11.2oz of water?

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that. Also, does it matter that the two portions of water (5.48oz + 2.99oz) doesn't equal the original 11.2oz of water?

Nope, that doesn't matter. The amount of water for any batch of soap depends on the lye concentration you want or need to use. It's flexible. Have fun.

This is very helpful. I used the SMF challenge thread where the ghost swirl technique was the challenge in order to learn the technique. It took several attempts to become comfortable with it, but it was totally worth it. I really had fun with the technique and really liked the results. I can't wait to see yours, Troy.

Latest posts

Back