Ghost swirl resulting backwards

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cascarral

Reaction score
Hello!
I tried auntie clara’s water discount technique, wanted the bottom half of my soap darker, more traslucid (higher % water - 30% lye concentration) and the upper part lighter (38%) in the same batch I used a 33% lye concentration to make a test with beetroot powder.

Of course everything happened just the opposite as I expected. Hope someone can help me figure out what happened because I have no clue.
(the upper part of the beetroot soap doesnt look smooth because it was too thick when I tried to poor).

Method: I made a batch with 38% lye concentration and added more water to each part as I went.

Attachments

• FC2A7987-917E-408B-A812-F55B5ACA7FEE.jpeg
    FC2A7987-917E-408B-A812-F55B5ACA7FEE.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 36
I am a little confused, because you mentioned "darker and more translucent" as if they go together. Lighter soap will be more translucent than darker soap.

Think of it in terms of curtains or drapes: a lighter-colored curtain will let in and reflect more light, whereas a darker-colored curtain of the same materials will let in and reflect less light.

EDITED: According Auntie Clara, the higher the water, the lighter the soap will be during the pour, but apparently that may reverse as it goes through gel. Did your soap gel?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back