Getting "used" to soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
We just visited friends this past weekend, and I didn't take any soap, just using theirs while we were there. I've given them soap in the past, and they like it, and I brought more as a gift.

Anyway, today on our way home, Bob asked if I used the soap in their shower. I said I had. He told me that it felt harsh, that it didn't suds well, and that it had a "chemically" smell, like it was detergent. He commented that he was so used to our homemade soap (both liquid and bar soap) that he never noticed when he stopped noticing how nice it was! He mentioned that he never wanted to be without our soap again.

I mentioned that ours had the glycerin in it, and that it was 100% soap and not detergent or with chemicals or even FOs. We had a long talk on the way home about soap making and manufacturing.

Even though I don't sell, and never will, it was nice to have the husband notice how he just got used to having handmade quality soap on hand all the time, from shampoo to liquid soap dispensers to bars, and have him just sort of take it for granted. I think now he'll be much more likely to give me more room and time (are you done yet?!?) for soap now that he loves it so much. From now on, I'll just take a small body of liquid superfatted soap in a little travel bottle so we'll have homemade soap even for a 1 or 2 day trip.

He's always been supportive of me rendering our deer tallow, beef tallow, and lard into soap (we don't believe in wasting resources) but now he really appreciates the quality and richness of the soap.

I'd call that a victory!

I am always curious about using other people's soap, espec. store bought ones. There is no doubt in my mind that for me - I know some people don't do well w/CP - homemade soaps are much, much better for my skin. But it is still kind of fun to test others elsewhere if you know you are not stuck w/them.

Also, that is a sweet story. I kind of want to get me a Bob :)

I love stories like this..when someone realizes how much better homemade soap really is compared to the commercial stuff...its awesome :)

Both of my best boys -- my stepson and my hubby -- truly enjoy using my soap. It's a real thrill to have a twentysomething, fashionable young man head straight for my soap stash to see what's new to take home and try. Yay!!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a supportive spouse -- kudos to your Bob for letting you know how much he likes your soap!

That's really sweet! I have always thought to myself, I want to bring just a small bar of soap with me so when I wash my hands I don't have to use whatever is in a public restroom. I just need a logistical and reasonable way to carry it around.

That's really sweet! I have always thought to myself, I want to bring just a small bar of soap with me so when I wash my hands I don't have to use whatever is in a public restroom. I just need a logistical and reasonable way to carry it around.

I made liquid soap paste and put it into a large lip balm type tube. I call it Soap2Go, and I have used it for hand washing as well as for a shower on a couple of overnight trips. Kept me from having to use hotel soap. I keep it in my purse just to avoid using public restroom soap, but it really is great.

And this is the reason we go to the trouble of making soap, instead of grabbing a bar off the shelf at the grocery store.....because of the way it makes our skin feel. Yes, the other stuff cleans you, but handmade soap, it cleans you too, but so gently, with such tenderness, (I know that sounds funny, but we know that it's true!) and like your husband, when you've used it forever you can forget how great it is, until you go back to the other stuff. There really is a difference! Lucky you, with such a supportive, and soap savvy husband. :D

I made liquid soap paste and put it into a large lip balm type tube. I call it Soap2Go, and I have used it for hand washing as well as for a shower on a couple of overnight trips. Kept me from having to use hotel soap. I keep it in my purse just to avoid using public restroom soap, but it really is great.

That's a great idea Susie! I diluted all of my paste, but that's a great idea for the next time. Just a wee tiny bit in a lip balm tube and you've got "instant soap" for shampoo, hands, body- "just in case". Sometimes the grandkids get dirty unexpectedly when we're out and about too, and that sure would be better than what my daughter does now- pull out (poisonous) baby wipes for hands and face.

Great story.

I always travel with my bar soap. Not full sized bars, usually just end pieces or partly used remnants. I put it in a baggie and then when I pack up from the hotel, blot it dry with a towel. Occasionally one will be too soggy, and I'll just throw it out. But I never leave home without!

I love hearing your story my husband likes our soap too . He told a buddy yeah it not only takes the grease off but made my hands all soft and gunk ! Its nice to be appreciated when its so much work ! We make our own lye and make soap in large batches 3 times a year ! If my husband gets a deer I would love to make more tallow we use all of our pigs fat in sausage :) Keep it up :) Your an inspiration

Back