Getting to the bottom of the mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBeeHaven

Reaction score
20210829_170209.jpg

Thank you to the person who said to grease plastic Milky Way molds with mineral oil and freeze. It's magical. My question is probably elementary, but I'm having trouble getting my swirl to reach the bottom of the mold, where the bees are. It is kinda cool having 2 designs in 1 bar, but should I be pouring the black swirl from a higher distance? I poured it and then used a small spatula and made sure to reach the bottom. But the black batter didn't sink. Thanks for your advice! I'm learning so much from all of you!

I haven't done many individual molds but yes, pouring from a higher distance will make it go deeper into the mold. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but you could also try an in the pot swirl to get it to go all over.

Not specifically what you asked for, but for that beehive mould, I wouldn't try to reach the bottom at all. They're fine as they are; with deeper swirling (ITP, hanger, drop) you're increasing the risk to get a “dirty” look with that colour combination (yellow is particularly prone to become greenish-grey when blended with a neutral black).
I think I understand your colour concept, I like the idea of a “metaphorical” black-and-yellow crosswalk swirl on the top of a bee soap. But I'd keep it as is, and maybe add some orange-brown batter first, scrape off most of it so that it only fills the bees (and the bottoms of the comb), and then add the light yellow batter for the bulk on top. Keep these beautiful black-yellow swirls as they are!

ETA: Or dust the moulds with mica instead of a third batter colour.

If the accent color is not making it to the bottom of the base batter in a pitcher or bowl for an ITP swirl, trying adding half of the accent into half of the base batter, add more base batter on top and then add the rest of the accent color. That trick was contributed recently by another member. I can’t give them credit because I can’t remember who it was.

It sounds like you are trying to do a drop swirl into individual cavity molds. I think this would be difficult. Part of what will help a drop swirl is the depth of a loaf mold and the amount of time you can pour your accent color into your base. I agree that doing an ITP swirl would give results that are more like what I think you are looking for.

I haven't done many individual molds but yes, pouring from a higher distance will make it go deeper into the mold. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but you could also try an in the pot swirl to get it to go all over.
It's a small slab cut into 4 bars. Good suggestion for in the pot swirl.

Not specifically what you asked for, but for that beehive mould, I wouldn't try to reach the bottom at all. They're fine as they are; with deeper swirling (ITP, hanger, drop) you're increasing the risk to get a “dirty” look with that colour combination (yellow is particularly prone to become greenish-grey when blended with a neutral black).
I think I understand your colour concept, I like the idea of a “metaphorical” black-and-yellow crosswalk swirl on the top of a bee soap. But I'd keep it as is, and maybe add some orange-brown batter first, scrape off most of it so that it only fills the bees (and the bottoms of the comb), and then add the light yellow batter for the bulk on top. Keep these beautiful black-yellow swirls as they are!

ETA: Or dust the moulds with mica instead of a third batter colour.
I was wondering how to "paint" the bees. I'll have to try that with some of these molds. Thanks!

It could be that your batter is too thick when pouring also - the thinner the batter the more likely it will go into the little crevices.
I had a really small amount of black and it was starting to thicken up.

If the accent color is not making it to the bottom of the base batter in a pitcher or bowl for an ITP swirl, trying adding half of the accent into half of the base batter, add more base batter on top and then add the rest of the accent color. That trick was contributed recently by another member. I can’t give them credit because I can’t remember who it was.
That makes sense. I was pouring directly into the mold but that's a good idea.

You could also try pouring and painting a small amount of black soap batter where you want it on the bottom of the mold, like on the bee heads and wings, and maybe a stripe or two across the bodies. Then pour the rest of your swirled batter over the top of it.

I think they look great as is. You could always get a teeny brush and paint black mica on your little bees
Thank you! Would I mix the mica with a bit of batter or just disperse in some oil?

You could also try pouring and painting a small amount of black soap batter where you want it on the bottom of the mold, like on the bee heads and wings, and maybe a stripe or two across the bodies. Then pour the rest of your swirled batter over the top of it.
Oh I love that idea!

Our teacher told us to look closely at impressionist paintings (and encouraged us to copy them) to realise with own eyes & own brush that they really did only use the darkest purple and brown paints. And she was a bit ill-disposed towards Édouard Manet because he used to use actual black oil paint. 🤣

But in case of the unimaginable, I still have coloured pencils in cyan, magenta and yellow at hand.

fainting meme
which, ironically, is shot in black and white, the two most troublesome colours to tint (“pollute”) other paints with. Titanium dioxide in particularly has a bad reputation among artists, for being very stubborn and detrimental to brilliance and stability of hue. It's the stuff you paint walls with, not portraits.

Back