Getting Started Without Spending a Ton of Money

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soaping can be practical, even if you don't monetize it. For example...

I had beeswax hanging around, plus jojoba, from previous hobbies. Bought cocoa butter for soaping. Put them together for a fantastic lip balm. I won't sell it but it saves me money. I get chapped lips easily & this is a great lip balm.

In another thread the subject of neats foot oil came up from somewhere deep in my unconscious. Hadn't thought of it in years. My brothers used to use it on their baseball gloves.

I do not like most commercial leather preps and that includes shoe polishes. I'm thinking of making my own saddle soap. How about that?

I love this hobby! It's endlessly fascinating.

Soaping can be practical, even if you don't monetize it. For example...

I had beeswax hanging around, plus jojoba, from previous hobbies. Bought cocoa butter for soaping. Put them together for a fantastic lip balm. I won't sell it but it saves me money. I get chapped lips easily & this is a great lip balm.

In another thread the subject of neats foot oil came up from somewhere deep in my unconscious. Hadn't thought of it in years. My brothers used to use it on their baseball gloves.

I do not like most commercial leather preps and that includes shoe polishes. I'm thinking of making my own saddle soap. How about that?

I love this hobby! It's endlessly fascinating.
be careful when buying neatsfoot oil, when my son was playing school and college ball, I bought what I thought a gallon of neatsfoot oil at Tractor Supply and after I had started using it, I read the label, it was imitation oil. not really good for good leather. I should have known that good oil doesn't sell for that price and it was 20 yrs ago, still have it some place.

be careful when buying neatsfoot oil, when my son was playing school and college ball, I bought what I thought a gallon of neatsfoot oil at Tractor Supply and after I had started using it, I read the label, it was imitation oil. not really good for good leather. I should have known that good oil doesn't sell for that price and it was 20 yrs ago, still have it some place.

Thanks! I started a thread about neats foot and in the process learned that it ain't worth the bother. And that's another thing about soaping - you learn a variety of ancillary skills that you never thought you would learn.

Latest posts

Back