Getting started with oxides

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Mobjack Bay, Sep 21, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Sep 21, 2019 #1

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I bought some chrome green and ultramarine blue oxides. If I’m remembering correctly, I need to mix them very thoroughly with oil or glycerin before SBing into the oils. Does that sound right? I also *think* I remember reading that it takes less oxide ppo compared with mica to get comparable color intensity. I’m hoping to get colors that are more on the translucent side of things, rather than saturated. Does 1/4 tsp ppo sound too low? Thanks!

2. Sep 21, 2019 #2

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I have the chrome green. I have used a little bit of my soaping oil to mix up the oxide. Definitely use a light hand-- you can always add more, if needed. I am afraid that I sort of eyeball it, but to get a nice, light "celedon" type of color I probably used about 1/8 of a tsp or maybe less? 1 tsp gave me a dark, spruce Christmas tree color. With the oxides I've used, when I've used a lot in a batch, it seems like the oxide portion of the batter shrank more than the rest of the bar during curing.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  3. Sep 21, 2019 #3

Nanette

Nanette

Nanette

That amount sounds about right...maybe less. Oxides are Very strong color. If you use too much they will also come off on the washcloth......:)

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  4. Sep 21, 2019 #4

DKing

DKing

DKing

I have a few oxides too, and they are potent so you need less than you do with micas. I usually mix mine with a little sweet almond oil, but I think any oil would work really. I also like adding a bit of mica or charcoal etc to change the tone a bit just to keep things interesting. :)

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  5. Sep 21, 2019 #5

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

I routinely use oxides and actually find it easier to mix them with water before adding them to my batter. They disperse easier. If you mix them with oil, make sure to get all the clumps out - I avoid that by using water. I think black oxide makes the deepest black. I also like and use ultramarine blue, ultramarine pink, and hydrated chrome green. Of course, we almost all use titanium dioxide ;) Good luck with your colors - I can't wait to see what you make!! They can be very very vibrant.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  6. Sep 22, 2019 #6

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Thanks everyone! I will let you know how it goes.

7. Sep 22, 2019 #7

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I use chromium oxide (green), iron oxides (black, red, yellow), titanium dioxide, and ultramarine blue. I probably use more like 1/8th to 1/4th tsp of dry oxide ppo to get a decent range of pastel to medium colors, although that's a guess -- I add enough to get the color I want and don't really weigh it out. I don't care for super bright or saturated colors, and I want to avoid coloring the lather and washcloths.

I have mixed my oxides with glycerin for some years, but I'm trying them in water of late and I think I like that the best.

Mobjack Bay and artemis like this.
  8. Sep 23, 2019 #8

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I mix my oxides with a tiny amount of water from the recipe.
    This is one of my early soaps.
    23 starry soap 3.jpg
    The bottom layer is darker than the top.
    For the bottom layer I used 1/4 tsp Activated Charcoal + 1/8 + 1/4 tsp ultramarine oxide in 5ml water in 350g batter.
    The top part has 1/4 tsp AC + 1.5 tsp ultramarine oxide in 5ml of water to 500g batter and after SBing I added salt directly to the batter to make the "stars".

This amount of oxide leeched. My son said it would be great for little children because it would make them wash themselves thoroughly as it turned his skin blue! So I suggest using a smaller amount of oxide. :rolleyes:
    It doesn't fade.

9. Sep 23, 2019 #9

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

That’s info I can use to get started on some range finding experiments. I’m hoping to get some color, but also to maintain a bit of translucency. It seems like I won’t need much at all. I guess the little bag of oxide I bought has more color potential in it than I thought. Thanks!

penelopejane likes this.