Getting started, need supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabatura

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am so excited about making soap. I have been wanting to do it for years and I am finally going to try it out. My birthday is next week and I am getting a scale and some lye and a thermometer. I have lots of questions but first I need to know where the best place to buy oils is. http://www.teachsoap.com/cpcosting.html There they have oils priced really cheaply. Wal Mart has olive oil for $13+ for 68oz. and coconut oil is much much more than that. I am assuming the author of that site did not just make those numbers up, hoping anyway so where is a good place to get oils, alive, coconut, palm etc? Also essential oils and fragrances?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :D

Starting out, do try to buy as much locally as you can. Have you tried my Wal-Mart recipe I posted here in the recipes area?

I like Soapers Choice, AKA Columbus Foods for my harder to find oils/butters.

Paul

If you're also looking for lye and if you happen to have a Lowes in your area, they might carry the "Roebik Crystal Drain Opener". These are 2-lb lye jars that typically run between $7 and $8 a piece. I bought two jars and was never questioned about my intentions using the product.

From what I understand, Ace Hardware carries another pure lye product called "Rooto". I haven't checked it out, however.

--Metal Substance

For fragrance oils I shop: wholesalesuppliesplus.com

I can also recomend:
indiana candle
day star
mill creek
brambleberry
aroma haven
wellington
majestic mountain sage
soapies supplies

MetalSubstance said:
If you're also looking for lye and if you happen to have a Lowes in your area, they might carry the "Roebik Crystal Drain Opener". These are 2-lb lye jars that typically run between $7 and $8 a piece. I bought two jars and was never questioned about my intentions using the product.

From what I understand, Ace Hardware carries another pure lye product called "Rooto". I haven't checked it out, however.

--Metal Substance

Here is what to look for at Lowe's;

roebic.jpg

Paul :wink:

The one book I was reading actually said to use your stand mixer in smaller batches....I was just wondering if the stick blender does better? Or if you can use a hand mixer in place of a stick blender?

Thanks!

I would get a stick blender. There is less chance of raw soap splattering all over since the blending happens below the surface.

Having said that - my stand mixer is one of my prized possessions! I couldn't sacrifice it for soap. I can make pasta, grind meat and paint the house with that thing! :)

LOL-I have to laugh at you talking about your stand mixer-I ran my freaking HAND through mine in February!! Have you ever heard of something so stupid! :oops: Here is was my sons birthday, husband is at work 40 minutes away, and I am stuck in a mixer....had to call 911 to get someone to GET ME OUT!!!!!! :roll: So I am trying to get past my fears again.....{sigh}

How strong does the blender need to be then? I have one that actually did several things, but I think I damaged the motor and if there is too much pull it just stops now.....wonder if I just need to get a new one for soap then?! Hmmmmm

OMG - too funny! Not a good position for me to be in I'm afraid. I could just hear myself say - "Please - it's just a finger! Save the mixer!"

I use an everyday Braun stick blender I purchased at Target or WalMart. Works great. I have a backup but haven't needed it yet.

that sounds so painful!!...Im used to the heavy -duty restaurant style mixers...im pretty sure if you got ANY body part in that it would tear it OFF... :shock: scary!!

Was one of those really stupid things....was getting ready to make the icing for Garets birthday cake and decided to wipe off the dust from the flour-turned the stupid thing on and ran my hand right in it! Ugh!

At first-no pain, so I was okay and was trying to reason with myself to get out if the mess. Well, then I decided I better call-and all at once the pain hit and holy crap!! Once the pain hit OMG-I was loosing it. lol Garet came out and saw it and said "whoa-that doesn't look good." (Thankfully he saw hit before the pain hit so I was laughing at that point!)

By the time the squad got there I was telling him just to CUT ME OUT. When he FINALLY got it off of my hand (it was SOOOO jammed....), byt the time my husband got home I was not using my hand and crying that I HAD to have my mixer for the birthday cake for the family party on Saturday. (I did this on a Thursday evening...) So we bent it around-doesn't look good, but it works! :wink:

Think I broke my ring finger-it is still fat and not quite right, but they told me that the most they would do at the ER was to splint it-and in my mind it would just get in the way anyway, so I skipped going. :roll:

hehehe...yeahh i was never one to follow doctors orders to a Tee...

Glad it turned out OK. You were so cheerful in your post about it I assumed it didn't hurt! Sorry. :roll:

Oh! It didn't hurt at first! Gosh-I was in there probably 10 minutes before the pain hit-and then WOW! LOL By the time the first person got here to help I had gotten my pinky free, my thumb lucked out and was not tangled. The first finger was bent clear backwards, but still no pain. The problem was the ring and middle finger-THEY were in a mess of bent metal. I still cannot believe how long it too before the pain hit. :oops: Anyway, by the time the first person got here-my middle finger was SOOOO blue! (I now understand how an animal in a trap feels when they give in and bite off a leg or foot! UGH)

But I have had to deal with a whole lot of heckling about this one! My brother in laws just cannot get over how I did something like that. My grandma who ALWAYS gets hurt in the kitchen keeps laughing that even SHE has not done this! Then my husband was at work, so I had called him to tell him what I had done (I had dinner cooking and was not sure how to FINISH it one handed....) so he jsut HAD to tell the people he worked with (who have never met me) so THEY pick at me too-through husband. Now I just laugh about it-and remind everyone to KEEP THE MIXER UNPLUGGED IF YOU HAVE LITTLE ONES IN THE HOUSE!! I cannot imagine what it would have done if one of the boys had gotten in there!! :shock: (But then we have to remember that it was NOT a child who did this-it was an ADULT who should have THOUGHT before wiping the flour dust off of the mixer! LOL)

very true! i always use a rubber spatula just in case...if that thing gets mangled..who cares...better than my appendages !
:)

Back