Getting soap out of Milky Way plastic cavity molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made soap in a Milky Way cavity mold, and can't figure out how to release it. I sprayed it with cooking spray before I poured, and my recipe is solid enough that I unmolded the rest soap I had poured from the remaining batter 12 hours ago. That was a silicone mold. WSP says to gently press on the back of the mold to release it, then pull it out the rest of the way.

The plastic has almost no give, I can't get it to depress at all to move the soap. Do I just leave it until it shrinks enough to fall out?

I bought the mold to make dinosaur soaps for my little kids. I'm hoping to be able to get them out in one piece. :)

The cooking spray may have saponified with the rest of the oils. Silicone release spray or a light coating of mineral oil is a better bet (doesn't saponify).

For these soaps, try putting the molds into the freezer for about 40 minutes. Then take them out and let them sit on the counter for about five minutes, until condensation has formed. Usually that helps them release more easily.

The cooking spray may have saponified with the rest of the oils. Silicone release spray or a light coating of mineral oil is a better bet (doesn't saponify).

For these soaps, try putting the molds into the freezer for about 40 minutes. Then take them out and let them sit on the counter for about five minutes, until condensation has formed. Usually that helps them release more easily.
I will try putting them in the freezer, thanks for the suggestion. I can still see the yellow of the cooking spray on the soap. I will try mineral oil next time though, that sounds like a good idea.

I've never had very good results with Milky Way molds for CP soap. I've tried lightly painting them with mineral oil / liberally painting them with mineral oil / putting them in the freezer / waiting up to 2 weeks to unmold the soap and nothing works well for me. I can get them out of the mold with these tricks, but rarely do I get a perfect bar. Some of the soap always sticks in the mold detail no matter what I try.
The only Milky Way mold I still use is this one because I have a lot of requests for these for Mardi Gras (and I have 25 of them!):
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/fleur-de-lis-milky-way-soap-mold-tray.aspxAs you can see, they aren't overly detailed but it's still a struggle to get them to unmold cleanly. I'm going to paint them with dimethicone this year to see if that will help.

I've never had very good results with Milky Way molds for CP soap. I've tried lightly painting them with mineral oil / liberally painting them with mineral oil / putting them in the freezer / waiting up to 2 weeks to unmold the soap and nothing works well for me. I can get them out of the mold with these tricks, but rarely do I get a perfect bar. Some of the soap always sticks in the mold detail no matter what I try.
The only Milky Way mold I still use is this one because I have a lot of requests for these for Mardi Gras (and I have 25 of them!):
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/fleur-de-lis-milky-way-soap-mold-tray.aspxAs you can see, they aren't overly detailed but it's still a struggle to get them to unmold cleanly. I'm going to paint them with dimethicone this year to see if that will help.
I'm glad to know that it isn't only me having a hard time with them. I'm honestly not sure of I'll use it again at this point! I'd love to see your Fleur de Lis soaps!

I grease mine with mineral oil and put them in the freezer for at least 24 to 48 hours. Then I take them out, turn them upside down and run lukewarm water over them, and they usually pop right out. Every so often I might get a stubborn bar, but I don't force it....I just stick it back in the freezer for another day, repeat with the running of the lukewarm water and it comes right out.

IrishLass :)

I grease mine with mineral oil and put them in the freezer for at least 24 to 48 hours. Then I take them out, turn them upside down and run lukewarm water over them, and they usually pop right out. Every so often I might get a stubborn bar, but I don't force it....I just stick it back in the freezer for another day, repeat with the running of the lukewarm water and it comes right out.

I will try the molds again and try your method next time! Thanks!

Milky Way molds are fine for M&P soaps. I have quite a few from when I did M&P 15 years ago, and some make quite pretty soaps. Even then, I sometimes had to pop them in the freezer. Doing CP and lotion bars, I only use silicone these days. There are quite a few options available and release exponentially better than the Milky Way molds.

I did as you suggested, and got the soaps out. Thanks for your advice. I did lose quite a bit of each dinosaur, but my kids didn't seem to notice. 😁

I
Milky Way molds are fine for M&P soaps. I have quite a few from when I did M&P 15 years ago, and some make quite pretty soaps. Even then, I sometimes had to pop them in the freezer. Doing CP and lotion bars, I only use silicone these days. There are quite a few options available and release exponentially better than the Milky Way molds.
I am used to silicone molds, and had never seen a plastic mold to know what to expect. I just ordered a cute silicone dinosaur mold last night that I will probably use more than the plastic one.

I am used to silicone molds, and had never seen a plastic mold to know what to expect. I just ordered a cute silicone dinosaur mold last night that I will probably use more than the plastic one.
Glad you got them out! You can still use the Milky Way molds for shower steamers or bath bombs.

Thank you Irish Lass!!! I've only tried putting mine in the freezer for a couple of hours, but now I see that that isn't nearly long enough! I dread making these every year (and I make a few hundred bars!), so your advice is a VERY much appreciated!!

ABSOLUTELY, this works. I just did the freezer trick a couple of days ago, I was using some cheap plastic molds from Michaels.

Here in Florida I have to use SL in all my recipes for them to harden enough for the soaps to release from molds whether it is a silicone mold or plastic mold. Of the plastic I do leave them in the mold for 3 days then place in the freezer for 24 hours, then run under hot water and out they fall.

I never coat my plastic mold with mineral oil🤮.

Back