Getting rid of sheep tail tallow's smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have rendered some sheep tail tallow using this method

But unfortunately I was unable to get rid of the strong smell.

I tried to make liquid soap with it using 45% tallow with 1%superfat but the smell was too strong.

Any help is appreciated.

I repeat rendering as long as there is even a very thin layer of dirt on the bottom surface of the tallow cake, as seen in the pic above. I use more water with salt than the lady in the video does.
When I consider my tallow really clean I dry it in the following manner. I remelt the cake and simmer it for as long as droplets of water keep coming to the surface to evaporate. I then pour it into a plastic container, refrigerate to solidify and wipe any droplets from all surfaces of the cake.
I store it in a PVC bag labelling it "DRY tallow" + date, and keep in a refrigerator until use.

Last edited:

I repeat rendering as long as there is even a very thin layer of dirt on the bottom surface of the tallow cake, as seen in the pic above. I use more water with salt than the lady in the video does.
When I consider my tallow really clean I dry it in the following manner. I remelt the cake and simmer it for as long as droplets of water keep coming to the surface to evaporate. I then pour it into a plastic container, refrigerate to solidify and wipe any droplets from all surfaces of the cake.
I store it in a PVC bag labelling it "DRY tallow" + date, and keep in a refrigerator until use.

Thank you for your reply.
I rendered about 3 times ,I had to freeze the tallow to solidify it so I can remove the dirt. not sure if I am doing it wrong or the sheep tail tallow is different from other types of tallow. also the dirt removed was very little not as shown in your picture. maybe I should use sea salt for better result?

Back