Getting patchouli EO to "stick" in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been trying to make a nice strong patchouli cp soap. I have tried using A LOT of patchouli EO, using different company's versions of patchouli, using synthetic patchouli to get it to stick, using bentonite clay in the recipe to get the scent to stick, using different bottom notes along with it, like sandalwood and cedar, to get it to stick and NOTHING WORKS! Anyone have any idea how to make a strong patchouli scent cp soap????

Okay, those are things I have not tried yet. So does kaolin clay help scents stick better than bentonite clay? I have not tried mixing the two together to presoak before adding. I really like that. I usually use real patchouli EO but thought trying synthetic might also help, but it didn't. Okay, something else to try is encouraging!

Okay, those are things I have not tried yet. So does kaolin clay help scents stick better than bentonite clay? I have not tried mixing the two together to presoak before adding. I really like that. I usually use real patchouli EO but thought trying synthetic might also help, but it didn't. Okay, something else to try is encouraging!
Some say it helps w/ scent retention. use 1 tea ppo clay then add your EO & let it soak, some have it soak for a day or longer. Ive done a pre-soak just prior to use. Yes defiantly try the FO' may work out better for you. Good luck.

I have used kaolin clay in HP, and it helped. Also after cutting the soap, curing for one week, I placed the already scented bars in a large zip lock bag with a cotton ball with a few drops of patchouli oil for a week. The soap absorbed the scent making it stronger. It has been 2 months and the scent is still very strong.

I placed the already scented bars in a large zip lock bag with a cotton ball with a few drops of patchouli oil for a week. The soap absorbed the scent making it stronger.
Clever! That's how I make Earl Grey tea from black tea and bergamot EO.

Hello,
I have been trying to make a nice strong patchouli cp soap. I have tried using A LOT of patchouli EO, using different company's versions of patchouli, using synthetic patchouli to get it to stick, using bentonite clay in the recipe to get the scent to stick, using different bottom notes along with it, like sandalwood and cedar, to get it to stick and NOTHING WORKS! Anyone have any idea how to make a strong patchouli scent cp soap????
Is it possible that you are desensitized to the smell of patchouli? Normally it is a very, very long-lasting scent. If you haven't done so already, you might ask others to smell the bars and make sure. You might also try wetting the bars to see if the smell "blooms" when the soap gets wet.

Patchouli EO is the strongest scent I've ever used. It lasts and lasts. I went to my friend's house the other day who loves my patchouli soap, and i could smell the patchouli as soon as I opened the bathroom door. The soap was made before Christmas 2020.
@ResolvableOwl - I use Soy Wax at 20% in every batch but never knew it supposedly helped scent anchoring.

Oh and @Relle - I wonder if this should be moved to a more suitable forum? The OP might get more responses.

Moved

Back