Getting from emulsion to very light trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
I think I finally figured out how to get my soap batter to emulsion. I figured it would be easier just to do all soap swirl designs from there, but it's been a bit of a problem.

I tried to do a cosmic swirl technique where you color layer three different colors and then pour it into a loaf mold in a zig zag motion and alternate between sides.

The problem is that at emulsion the batter is so thin that each color seems to bleed into the other and so I don't get the dramatic effect.

But I don't want the batter to get too thick to where I can't pour it easily.

So how does one get from emulsification to thin trace or at least a trace that would allow the colors in the batter to keep their integrity BUT still be malleable enough to pour?

Ann-Marie at teatree works (in another recipe) suggested just waiting....but I'm not sure how long youd wait and if you would just keep stirring it while you wait.

I don't know if there is a difference between stirring the batter vs. whisking it in terms of thickening the batter faster (ie - if you whisk the batter does it make it get thicker faster than stirring it?).

Should I just whisk it to get it to go from emulsification to light trace, stir it, stick blend it, or just literally walk away from it for a while?

Thanks in advance. I'm attaching pictures so you can see how the blues mostly blend together.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_193547923.jpg
    IMG_20200405_193547923.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200406_184553601_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200406_184553601_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
You need to just wait. You need to watch how long it will take to move just that bit more into light trace. Whisking slows trace if you are speaking of hand whisking. If you are machine whisking, I would be concerned that you would get air in there. You can also stick blend just that tiny bit longer. All of this is a matter of experience. Lots of batches from now you will know just exactly how long to do this or that. Hang in there.

Once your batter is at emulsion, or almost there, you can just let it sit and check on it and stir every 10 minutes or so. Just stir once it is at emulsion. Depending on your recipe, this can take 10 minutes to over an hour. I use my stick blender very sparingly (basically just a pulse followed by stirring) until it is at emulsion. Then stir only. Like @Susie said, it's just a matter of experience - but once it clicks, it's a good thing to have in your toolbox and worth the effort to learn.

Thank you both so much, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

LOL @ lots of batches from now.....don't I know it!!!

Thanks again you two!

@Susie and @dibbles have you covered, but I did want to mention that if your recipe is high in butters/hard oils, waiting too long can allow the batter to cool, which can result in stearic spots.
Wanted to mention that just in case, because I learned that one the hard way ;)
Good point!

This is magic information! I had no idea that once it was at emulsion, you could let time do the work on your batter. Thanks for asking and answering this one!

Me neither and you're welcome! If you're as curious and fascinated as I am I found this awesome video on emulsification and trace.

The only thing I would add to the previous post is that I would look into "in the pot swirls" or ITPS for short. I to was having problems with swirls but after trying the ITPS a couple of times, I now have decent swirls. Not great but very workable.

So how does one get from emulsification to thin trace or at least a trace that would allow the colors in the batter to keep their integrity BUT still be malleable enough to pour?

Time. Experience. Getting to be BFFs with your batter...and colorants...and scents...throughout the year. There are just so many variables to consider: the types of oils/butters you use; the temperature of your lye solution, oils/butters, batter; the size of your batter, the ambient temperature of your home/studio/shop; how long you stick blend, whisk, stir; the additives you use; the behavior of any scents you use; the types of colorants you use from micas, to clays, to oxides, to natural powders and infusions.

Time. Experience. Getting to be BFFs with your batter...and colorants...and scents...throughout the year. There are just so many variables to consider: the types of oils/butters you use; the temperature of your lye solution, oils/butters, batter; the size of your batter, the ambient temperature of your home/studio/shop; how long you stick blend, whisk, stir; the additives you use; the behavior of any scents you use; the types of colorants you use from micas, to clays, to oxides, to natural powders and infusions.

I think maybe this is why I enjoy Soap Making so much! All the variables make creating a successful batch so satisfying. It's a constant journey of learning and experience.

I think maybe this is why I enjoy Soap Making so much! All the variables make creating a successful batch so satisfying. It's a constant journey of learning and experience.

I recently switched over to making a 6lb batch of soap instead of making 2-2lb and 2-lb; new learning curve. 1) It takes longer to bring 6lbs of batter to emulsion, than 1 or 2 lbs. 2) The batter changes as it sits in the tub (aka dish pan) so I have to plan my designs accordingly.

I recently switched over to making a 6lb batch of soap instead of making 2-2lb and 2-lb; new learning curve. 1) It takes longer to bring 6lbs of batter to emulsion, than 1 or 2 lbs. 2) The batter changes as it sits in the tub (aka dish pan) so I have to plan my designs accordingly.

Great points! I found the same regarding emulsion with larger batches too, and also once emulsion is reached, trace was slower, but that may be different depending on the batch. I haven't done many large batches yet. Mainly due to limited space – dreaming of a one day having a soap shed. I love how creative people get with their soap "vessels" too. It makes me look at my storage containers differently.

So, I'm attaching this article I just read to see if anyone else can verify.

The writer said that you can check the temperature of your batter just after you add the our water and when the temperature goes up exactly one degree, you're reached emulsion. Is this true? Is this conventional wisdom?

https://soapchallengeclub.com/controlling-trace/

So, I'm attaching this article I just read to see if anyone else can verify.

The writer said that you can check the temperature of your batter just after you add the our water and when the temperature goes up exactly one degree, you're reached emulsion. Is this true? Is this conventional wisdom?

I’d have to test it.

Stop and think about what emulsion is: An emulsion is a mixture of two or more liquids that are normally immiscible (unmixable or unblendable).

In this case, water and oil. How is temperature going to tell you if you've blended water and oil to the point where they will stick together and not separate back into themselves? I think the author found a coincidental temperature and is using that as fact.

Back