Getting coconut oil out of bucket

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

samirish

Reaction score
I purchase my coconut oil in 50lb buckets. Currently, I am not in the position where I can keep it warm enough to melt the whole thing, so I scoop out just what I need every time I make soap.

The problem is, its so hard, that every utensil I try to use to scoop it out, eventually bends or breaks. What do you guys use to get hard coconut oil out of a large bucket?

kumudini

Reaction score
I use a very sturdy SS ladle I bought from IKEA. It was part of 4 piece set.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use an ice cream spade or a small chopping knife I keep for getting my pko out of the bucket. I have broken the spades trying to use it for pko, but never had one break with solidified coconut oil. I always have extra spades just in case

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I too use an ice cream spade. Except during the summer, I leave my bucket outside and let it melt some.

RobertBarnett

Reaction score
Ice cream scoop, check your local dollar store, that is where I got mine.

Robert

Soapprentice

Reaction score
Well... i never had that problem.... it is so warm here that the oils are never solid or just 15 mins in sun melts them down.

toxikon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You folks in hot climates are lucky! I keep my house a balmy 72 degrees F yet I still need to apply some serious elbow-grease to scrape coconut oil out of the pail. I guess I could leave it right in front of our gas fireplace for an hour before soaping!

Latest posts