Getting closer...........

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
I'm itching for my first try at soap creating and have been paying attention to the ingredients listed on the packages. Are there any soap bar brands left on the shelves that are purer than the rest? Ivory soap use to be considered this way. Right now I don't want to invest a whole lot in bulk items, and I only want to experiment. Any helpful suggestions?
Thank you all!

I haven't used store bought soap in many, many years. There are soapmakers here, including myself, who would be happy to sell you a bar of handmade soap for you to try.

Irena

I could sell you a bar too, or give you one! :) Now, let me tell you, making your first batch of soap is as easy as going to Wal-Mart, bar, finding the lye there. You can go to a Lowe's store to get that. Get Roebic's Heavy Duty Drain Crystals, as it is still 100% pure sodium hydroxide! So your first soap can be as simple as Coconut Oil, Safflower Oil, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, a bit of Crisco. Get the lye at Lowe's. Make a mold out of about anything, even a cardboard box. We can help you through the process. I'll even give you a decent "grocery store" recipe for CP soap if you want, when you need it. It is a very wise soap maker who does much studying, doing research online, going to the library to check out soap making books, and then more research before adding any lye to water! Safety always is a must and be learned before starting. We have all heard of and seen terrible things that a little spilled 33% lye solution can do to you or children even our pets! I've seen nasty pictures of a little boy severely burned by his mom's lye solution, and will never forget those images!

It is the most fun and rewarding craft I have ever began! I love making CP soap, been doing it just over 2 years. I read solid on the net for a few months before I ever thought about making my first batch. We are here for you. There are several members here who have many years under our belts of learning, and continuing to learn our craft. Enjoy our form, as any question, love what we do!

Paul.... :wink:

More...

Thank you, Paul! I will check out the crystals. I bought a decent weight scale this evening, so I'm tiptoeing along. I also found/bought a bar of Grandma's Lye soap from Ace Hardware that is good for things like psoriasis, eczema,acne, athlete's feet, mosquitos & relieves fleas & dander on pets. It hides human scent for hunters, and is even Catfish bait. It is very mild soap. It's hard to believe lye soap does all this & more. I use to think that the olden days products were below par, but now I wonder about this. Modern technology should bring improvements, not a substitution for the basics. Just read the ingredients listed on a bar of soap. Have a good evening! :)

SHUT UP!!! Did you say Catfish bait? hahahahahahahahahahahaha what kind of fish likes to eat soap? hhahahhaa

Ok too much coffee for me this morning!!!

Somehwre we need to kep a list of words that tickle dragon so someone can write a short story containing them all...

Hey M&P Queen........

I beg your pardon........... don't get sore at me for what is PRINTED on the label!!!! If you like, I'll send it to you to read for yourself!!!!

I do know that catfish will eat about anything. Do I believe it, well, I would have to try it for myself. Too bad I'm not a fisherman!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dragonfly princess said:
SHUT UP!!! Did you say Catfish bait? hahahahahahahahahahahaha what kind of fish likes to eat soap? hhahahhaa

Ok too much coffee for me this morning!!!

A clean and fresh smelling catfish! Hahahahaha :lol: :lol:

Dragon, you crack me up my friend! 8) Actually when I used to catfish, I did try Ivory brand several times and caught a few of them on it.

Tabitha said:
Somehwre we need to kep a list of words that tickle dragon so someone can write a short story containing them all...

Ok, Tab, my friend....here is one in this thread that got me LMAO! Got ya girl! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, "what goes around comes around" and "Is that the pot calling the kettle black?" :wink: :lol:

Back