Quantcast

Getting Close

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m getting close to a formula that’s what I think I want. Workable for fun designs, low cleansing, decent bubbles, lather... I want the first ingredient to be tallow. I’ve been soaping at 110-120F, but recently did 100F with success. Could I even do 90F? I worry about false trace. Would 90F give me a longer working time, or shorter? That part confuses me. I’d love any feedback on my formula. Thank you!

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
90F would give you more time. More heat=faster trace.
That has been SO hard to wrap my head around! The whole saturated fats thing... but I was using %60+ of tallow. Still, I think heat=liquid...

Obsidian

Reaction score
Have you tried lard? Its slower to trace and is milder then tallow.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried lard? Its slower to trace and is milder then tallow.
I’m super into tallow! I actually have made my own skin care for years that is tallow based. I’m developing a line for sale, someday. It’s also the whole sustainable agriculture thing, ruminant animals and stuff... so, I’m committed to making tallow work.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding 20% lard and upping your tallow makes a really nice workable soap. Even if you get a false trace in the beginning once the batter starts to heat up the batter will thin out. My 38-40% tallow with lard will false trace because many times I soap while the batter is still cloudy. It will thin out giving me a lot of working time with the addition of the lard.

atiz

Reaction score
I work with tallow pretty often. Never gotten false trace, but I always make sure my oils are clear liquid before mixing in the lye. The cooler your batter, the slower -- but a few degrees probably won't matter.
One of my recipes is fairly similar to yours, and I like it :).

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding 20% lard and upping your tallow makes a really nice workable soap. Even if you get a false trace in the beginning once the batter starts to heat up the batter will thin out. My 38-40% tallow with lard will false trace because many times I soap while the batter is still cloudy. It will thin out giving me a lot of working time with the addition of the lard.
Is you 38-40% equal parts tallow and lard?

I work with tallow pretty often. Never gotten false trace, but I always make sure my oils are clear liquid before mixing in the lye. The cooler your batter, the slower -- but a few degrees probably won't matter.
One of my recipes is fairly similar to yours, and I like it :).
What % of tallow do you use? What temp are you starting with?

atiz

Reaction score
What % of tallow do you use? What temp are you starting with?
I have used tallow up to 40%, and to make things worse, also almost always use beeswax (which has a higher melting point).
I don't usually take temperature nowadays, so don't know the exact. What I often do is melt the oils in the order of their melting points -- melt the beeswax first, then mix in the tallow, and any other hard fats. When all the hard fats are melted and clear, I take it off the heat, and mix in the liquid oils. Then I wait till the mix is cool enough that I can touch the container or even put my finger into the mix without burning myself, but it is not yet cloudy. I would say it is around 100F at that point.
I don't masterbatch my lye, so my lye is also usually around the 100F mark (container warm but not burning to the touch -- obviously I don't stick my finger into it, and wouldn't recommend that :) ). I did notice that having the lye water much warmer than that leads to very fast trace. If I want to have a lot of time, I have the lye cool to room temp.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soaped at 95F and it was WAY slower and great!

Latest posts