"Getting Back Into It" soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've made soap, as it's been a while since I've been able TO make soap. Finishing my studies, going on placement, etc. So it's nice to have the time and means again to do something I love :) While my past attempts and designs had been growing increasingly ambitious, I feel like I was also setting my goals too high to even BEGIN to achieve, so I wanted to just go back to something I knew I could do, and show off some fun photos/videos of it as well :)

Here's a link to a video I made of the pouring process: https://youtu.be/r8IbW5e92Sc
Sorry it's a bit shaky, it was a bit hard recording and pouring at the same time. To be honest I wasn't even sure if the soap mould was in frame half the time 😅

Other than that, here's the soap after tamping it down on the bench
IMG_5211.jpeg

And some more photos post-texturing the top and gilding it! 😉

IMG_5217.jpeg

IMG_5218.jpeg

I think this was the first soap I made where I succeeded in getting the perfectly thin-trace method I've been striving to come up with. In the video it's gone beyond thin trace (as the timing of the vid and all that took a bit longer), HOWEVER, I've found that I can reach a thin trace with my soap mix by doing the following:

- Combine oil/lye mix at the 20-30 C mark,
- Blitz together with a hand mixer for 3-4 seconds, so that the oil/lye mix JUST combine, and
- Mix the mica and FO into the soap batter by hand with a whisk,

it'll work like a charm and I'll get that nice thin trace I've been trying so hard to achieve.

Either way, thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy the video and photos, I can't wait to give an update hopefully tomorrow with the cross section of the cut bars!

Looks great. I keep trying to texture my tops but mess around too long and then just smooth everything out.

Back