Getting a new snake šŸ

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love ball pythons. I've had them in past, always been nice snakes.

Look into joining a python group or forum. That set up isn't ideal for a ball. You'll end up with shedding issues using aspen, they need fairly high humidity.

We had a Humidity box for our 2. Just a plastic bin w/lid, having a few holes cut in. I had damp flannel inside so they could chill in the steamy interior.

Cosmo71If the setup advice came from a pet shop they are notorious for bad advice when it comes to reptiles. As Obsidian mentioned join a python group or forum.

Obsidian I was looking up Cornsnakes and the different colors with I assume are morphs but I know nothing about corn snakes. The Lavender looks like a really neat color, and I can see how one could get addicted to acquiring the different colored corn snakes.

Off topic: Houdini is getting a girlfriend next week. Hopefully, they will like each other. Sure you never want a Day Gecko? Or maybe your daughter? Of course, that is dependent if they like each other, and decide not to fight. :nodding:

Last edited:
@cmzaha yes, the different colors are morph and their are a ton of different morphs, plus they can be combined to create even more.

Lavenders are nice, had a big female years back when I was trying to breed. One of my favorites is a opal which is a combination of lavender and amelanistic.

I'm not against a day gecko but our house gets pretty cold in the winter.
Hope your two get along, babies would be so cute.

I love ball pythons. I've had them in past, always been nice snakes.

Look into joining a python group or forum. That set up isn't ideal for a ball. You'll end up with shedding issues using aspen, they need fairly high humidity.
thank you. That is what the pet store owner said as well. The aspen came with the kit. I will definitely look into a facebook group. Thank you for the kind but honest feedback. Hearing it twice..I will change out the bedding sooner than later...it is very thin bedding.

Awesome, glad to hear it. I always liked cypress mulch and often it can be found at garden centers, just make sure it doesn't have any added chemicals.

Be aware many of the reptile groups are hung up on tubs for balls, some can be quite nasty to people using tanks. Just ignore that talk, the info on temps, bedding and feeding are whats important.

I actually prefer this site Ball-Pythons.net Forums
Its not very active anymore but it has all the info you need.

@cmzaha yes, the different colors are morph and their are a ton of different morphs, plus they can be combined to create even more.

Lavenders are nice, had a big female years back when I was trying to breed. One of my favorites is a opal which is a combination of lavender and amelanistic.

I'm not against a day gecko but our house gets pretty cold in the winter.
Hope your two get along, babies would be so cute.
I looked up lavender and opal, and how did I get today years old without finding out that snakes can be purple! šŸ˜ I still miss my aquariums with sparkly fish and lush plants, but it looks like snakes could give them a run for their money on the color scheme!

Be aware many of the reptile groups are hung up on tubs for balls, some can be quite nasty to people using tanks. Just ignore that talk, the info on temps, bedding and feeding are whats important.

You are correct that reptile groups can get hung up on one thing and get quite nasty if you do not agree. One I am in says to never feed days baby food. When I first had a breeding pair all we had back in the 70's was baby food my pair lived a long time and produced many babies. Of course, me being me I did mention it and received no comments. :lol: They were bashing someone for feeding baby food.

Oh yes, I've went rounds over baby food when I kept creasties.
People say healthy reptiles won't starve themselves if offered proper food but I've seen it happen. If they don't see a certain item as food, they won't eat it.

You definitely need thick skin if you want to get involved with the online reptile community.

Awesome, glad to hear it. I always liked cypress mulch and often it can be found at garden centers, just make sure it doesn't have any added chemicals.

Thank you for pointing me to the site. it doesn't matter if its not very active, I can find a lot of good information, just like this soap forum.

I have been thinking about getting a snake, it's been on my mind the last couple of weeks so I've been doing research on the proper care and setup for one. What lovely happenstance to see this post today, I feel like it's a sign! A soapy & slithery sign, lol. šŸ

@Obsidian Go with your gut! Romeo's a cute name for him. :) & thanks for posting the forum, I will be checking it out as well!

@Cosmo71 Your new family member is so cute!! Congratulations. šŸ„°

Today is feeding day for our new snake. I have really come to like him and am always worried about him wondering is he cold, bored, happy! He does not like to have his head touched but he is getting more comfortable when being held and will come out of his ball and cuddle and look and smell? with his tongue. Otherwise, most days he spends time in the corner of his shelter away from the light hidden in some fake foliage. It is quite warm in his tank, about 80. We don't have air conditioning so I think he is doing well.

Today is feeding day for our new snake. I have really come to like him and am always worried about him wondering is he cold, bored, happy! He does not like to have his head touched but he is getting more comfortable when being held and will come out of his ball and cuddle and look and smell? with his tongue. Otherwise, most days he spends time in the corner of his shelter away from the light hidden in some fake foliage. It is quite warm in his tank, about 80. We don't have air conditioning so I think he is doing well.

Sounds like he is doing well. Balls are shy and prefer to stay hidden. You can give him more greenery and get some aquarium backing to cover three sides of his tank.
They do not like having their head touched, ever. Even old, puppy tame ones will jerk away if you touch the head.

Good luck with feeding, balls can be difficult. If using frozen/thawed, try heating it with a hair drier after its thawed. The extra heat will get the snakes attention.

My snake will be here today. He is about a hour away right now. Has two more post offices to go through before he actually get on a truck to me.

Attachments

• 20200813_104717.jpg
    20200813_104717.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200813_105317.jpg
    20200813_105317.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 8
Back