Germany and Austria

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saipan

Reaction score
Ok, getting ready to go to Germany and Austria in less than 2 months to visit my better half's family.

I need the list of must dos, must sees.

My better half said I have to behave while there. Not sure what she meant by that. I know she doesn't like it when I juggle apples at the grocery store, or when purchasing soft items I say going long, move away, then pitch it back to her. If she fails to catch something and it breaks, it's her fault, right?

Can you get kicked out of a country for trying to have fun?

I was in Berlin about 10 years ago for work. I discovered orange Coke. They don't have that here in the states. I drank orange coke every day while I was there. I hate coke, by the way. I'm a Pepsi girl, but I couldn't find any Pepsi. I don't know what it was about that orange coke, but I'd kill for one now...

Must dos: Drink orange coke. Eat a cucumber and salami sandwich from a vendor in the subway system then forget where you got the most incredible sandwich you've ever eaten. Eat pretzels or pretzel bread every day.

I'm all about the food...

Well, my wife is from Bavaria, supposedly the Pretzel capitol of the world.

Depends where in particular you aren't ping as to what is good to do.

I can also suggest not being a man-child in shops and so on over here - people expect a certain amount of respect for their culture and being foreign is not an excuse for causing offense

I think you will be going in about the time the fall festivals are going on - lots of beer and weekend soccer - You can have fun

try every beer available, they have an awesome beer and very good foods. Try to see smaller cities and villages, they are so immaculate, clean, they pay attention to details. You are going to be pleasantly surprised
BTW no speed limits on highways

Passau Germany, and Linz Austria. There will be a few day trips to different areas.

I promise to be a perfect Gentleman while there.

Also going to Regansburg, and Nabburg.

Last edited:
I was in Berlin about 10 years ago for work. I discovered orange Coke. They don't have that here in the states. I drank orange coke every day while I was there. I hate coke, by the way. I'm a Pepsi girl, but I couldn't find any Pepsi. I don't know what it was about that orange coke, but I'd kill for one now...

Must dos: Drink orange coke. Eat a cucumber and salami sandwich from a vendor in the subway system then forget where you got the most incredible sandwich you've ever eaten. Eat pretzels or pretzel bread every day.

I'm all about the food...

The only Pepsi products I rave about are Cherry Pepsi and the I-hope-I-can-find-it-soon Crystal Pepsi (Yea I like it! I've loved it until Pepsi crushed my childhood and took it off the market). Other than that, I like Coke, seltzer and spritzers made with seltzers. Don't get me started on localized sodas (CHEERWINE!!!)

Saipan, I've never been outside the country and Germany has never been on my radar of places I'd like to visit. Still, you can't truly learn about a culture without leaning about the food. I think that's the golden unwritten rule. I'd make up a list of foods and beers to try and maybe go to a McDonalds to see what's different about it. I find food and anthropology fascinating so feel free to ignore anything weird I might bring up.

Last edited:
As far as food is concerned, I have always found going to local places (i.e. "dives" and "hole-in-the-wall" joints) to have the best foods. If the working man isn't going to spend their money on a place, chances are the food isn't that great. I've been pretty successful with this method in US cities I've visited (some shady neighborhoods, too). It worked for me in London and Berlin, too. Had some great "bangers and mash" at a divy little place in London somewhere between the embassy & Victoria half a millenia ago. Couldn't understand 3/4 of what was being said by half the people in the place, but I had fun & no one slit my throat. (I was thinking to myself, "For all I know these happy smiling people are telling me they're gonna chop me into pieces and feed me to the fish.") One of the best parts of the trip is every cabbie called me "Love," like in the movies. :)

As far as food is concerned, I have always found going to local places (i.e. "dives" and "hole-in-the-wall" joints) to have the best foods. If the working man isn't going to spend their money on a place, chances are the food isn't that great. I've been pretty successful with this method in US cities I've visited (some shady neighborhoods, too). It worked for me in London and Berlin, too. Had some great "bangers and mash" at a divy little place in London somewhere between the embassy & Victoria half a millenia ago. Couldn't understand 3/4 of what was being said by half the people in the place, but I had fun & no one slit my throat. (I was thinking to myself, "For all I know these happy smiling people are telling me they're gonna chop me into pieces and feed me to the fish.") One of the best parts of the trip is every cabbie called me "Love," like in the movies. :)

I've spent a decent amount of time in London, and have done exactly what you suggest.

I went to Austria about 15 years ago. I cant remember the name of the place but there was this tour I went on that went into some caves and there was this underground lake you got to go on a boat ride on. It was Amazing. The water was so blue. I really wish I could remember the name of it or where it was but I was a 17 year old kid at the time and I'm sure I had other things on my mind. Like the creepy guy in the tour group that kept trying to sit right next to me all the time. "shudders"

Back