Gent's Minion Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm super tempted but like the other poster, I have too many soaps to catch up on, plus packaging, etc. I can even picture how I'd do it...I only use clays and such for colourants so the colours might be off...no, no must get work done!!!

Sorry to dispute this but you can rebatch salt bars and I have done it by rebatching in the oven.

Would love more details on how to do this if you'd care to share.

How is everyone's Minion's coming along???? I've been away taking care of some Immigration business ... YAY ... I'm a legal resident of the USA now!

So .. back to my Minions ... will try and finish them up this coming week.

Minion eyes are proving to be more complicated than I originally anticipated. Effort #1 failed so tweaked the plan and tried again. Effort #2 failed as well. Will attempt this particular plan one more time with MORE tweaking and if attempt #3 fails, will have to formulate a new plan.

I can see the potential for this to work ...... I just have to figure out the mechanics to MAKE it work!!!

BTW Gent .. I have not succumbed to M&P yet!!!

The only possible thing I could think of was a roll of black m&p with white m&p rolled around it. As it's only for the eyes, surely that's allowed?

Plus, if I make my own m&p, can I do it then?

pitchforks and torches.jpg

Now look what you've done! You just had to say that and stir them all up! :lol:

Soooo ... eyes are proving to be a big challenge. I think I finally have pupils but they're not as black as I was aiming for .. I'm just giving in after several attempts and enough black soap around my house to last a year.

I thought it would be a simple matter of filling progressively larger tubes but the first tube was a straw and I plugged the bottom and stuck two straws in a container of salt to hold them upright, trying to fill them with a pipette. The straws were too small a diameter and air locked with very little soap going down the tube. The second straws were larger but all the soap leaked out the bottom and I had a container full of black salt. Third attempt was a milk carton full of black soap (which turned grey .. grr) and when it was slightly firm I stuck the straws into it, let it harden a bit more and then with a twist I pulled out the straws and voila .. I have small black tubes which will become pupils. Now putting the coloured iris around them could be my mental end, LOL!

I have several thoughts on making that work but every failed attempt means the loss of the pupil and starting over from the very beginning .. it's like a terribly bad video game!

I'm still not sure this is the solution to eyes but it's a starting point and if the next stage proves to be unsuccessful I'm scratching my head on how to solve this (without resorting to M&P)

Anyone else doing anything or am I in this alone?

Last edited:
Mz Molly, maybe you should try the reverse. Pour your irises into whatever round mold you are going to use and then insert a skewer into the batter. Once the batter has solidified, turn the skewer to loosen and pull it out. Then you can pour your black into that space to get the pupil. You'd have to make certain your irises were well set or you could get a mess pulling the skewers out.

If you pour you black very thin, it should go all the way in unless you have made a very long set of irises.

Where were you yesterday??? LOL .. j/k

I actually thought of that but with such thin tubes I was afraid I wouldn't get the skewer in straight and my pupils would be all wonky. Although a crosseyed Minion might be just about right .. HA!

I have a strange plan to set the already poured pupils into an iris but I may be in the rubber room on this one so I'll keep you informed of how it goes.

Depending on the size that you are going to, I would just do black and white eyes - anything more and it's getting fiddly. I don't know how many people (of soap buying age!) could tell you what colour the irises of the minions are, or even if they have them.

Minions have irises??
*checks phone case*

Oh, so they do. I thought they were just black dots - and as I said, I have minions on my phone case!!

I am eagerly waiting photos of all your minion-ey soap :D

I can't wait to see these as well. I would do it with yall but I haven't gotten that far into soaping yet.

I don't know how many people (of soap buying age!) could tell you what colour the irises of the minions are, or even if they have them.

Brown silly

... my goodness that's a bit like saying the fans don't know or care what the T in Captain James T. Kirk stands for.

All Minion geeks will know what colour the iris' are and will be very cranky if you try to cheat them and think they won't notice.

Latest posts

Back