Gentle Soap Query

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if my following recipe is a gentle body soap and can it be used on my face...

Sweet Almond oil 25% Bubbly 11 Lauric 7.5%
Babassu oil 15% Cleansing 11 Linoleic 9 %
Lard 45% Condition 59 Linolenic 0.2%
Olive Oil 15% Hardness 36 Myristic 3.5%
Longevity 25 Oleic 50.3%
Stability 25 Palmitic 18.1%
Stearic 6.9%

Thanks

Sorry that didn't come out the way I set it up. This might be better to read.

Sweet Almond oil 25%
Babassu oil 15%
Olive Oil 15%
Lard 45%

Bubbly 11
Cleansing 11
Condition 59
Hardness 36
Longevity 25
Stability 25

Lauric 7.5%
Linoleic 9 %
Linolenic 0.2%
Myristic 3.5%
Oleic 50.3%
Palmitic 18.1%
Stearic 6.9%

Ok done...

Almond. 25
Babassu. 9
Lard. 51
Olive. 15

This gives me...

Bubbly. 7
Cleansing. 7
Condition. 62
Hardness 33
Longevity. 27
Stability. 27

The bubbly is what i am losing. I dont mind a creamy soap but how would i increase the bubbles a bit?

Here is one of my soap that is cleansing of 1, with bubbly of 10. It has no coconut or babassu, instead I used 10% castor.

Attachments

• 20200409_105940.jpg
    20200409_105940.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 32
I think whether you will be able to use it on your face also depends a lot on your skin type. I have no problem with using pretty much any soap on my face, but know people who can only tolerate syndets for face wash.
But in general agree with the others. The lower the cleansing factor, the better.

Here is one of my soap that is cleansing of 1, with bubbly of 10. It has no coconut or babassu, instead I used 10% castor.

Wow that’s not bad at all for bubbles! The reason i use babassu is because i have it around for making deodorant so i figure i might as well incorporate it into soap because it adds hardness. I find my skin doesn't do well with coconut so i don’t like using it.

I will have to go get castor oil. I assume it will be in a pharmaceutical section of the grocery store.

Thanks Obsidian and atiz for the input.

Will keep you posted.

Yes, the castor oil should be in the pharmaceutical section. May have to go to a pharmacy/apothecary.

You can also add some sugar or honey to some of the water. I use 1 Tablespoon/PPO (per pound of oil). But then, I am a bubbleholic.

Ok so i could not find caster oil and i gave up driving around looking for it. So per Susie’s instructions i used 1 tbsp of sugar per pound of oils. She said to use sugar or honey anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbsp.

unfortunately, i forgot to use a portion of my lye water and instead used about 2tbsps of extra water. Will this affect my soap or will it just take longer to harden? I do HP and have cooked it about two hours on low. I am not sure if that is oil floating or water. Hopefully water and it will evaporate off.

Ok so i could not find caster oil and i gave up driving around looking for it. So per Susie’s instructions i used 1 tbsp of sugar per pound of oils. She said to use sugar or honey anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbsp.

unfortunately, i forgot to use a portion of my lye water and instead used about 2tbsps of extra water. Will this affect my soap or will it just take longer to harden? I do HP and have cooked it about two hours on low. I am not sure if that is oil floating or water. Hopefully water and it will evaporate off.
2 tbsp water is negligible in HP. Just be carefule with using babassu in a face soap. It is slightly more cleansing than coconut oil but it is deceptively more gentle feeling. Also, it can be more bubbly after a long cure but that's just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back