Gemlite Soap & Candle Supply

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I have not, mostly because of price to purchase from Sweet Cakes. With shipping their fo's usually cost me around $60 lb and that is really pushing what I will pay. Again the problem is, I do not have a sample of the real deal so I am only comparing fo's which are someone's rendition of the fragrance. If I go to my favorite restaurant today I will stop at an East Indian Market and pick up a bar of their sandalwood. Granted they are not pure sandalwood, but I remember them being a bit different from any of my sandalwood fo's.

I hear you - shipping costs are always a factor. SC is local for me, and even though they won't allow anyone to pick up, I think that helps with the shipping charges. And my order gets to me in about 2 days :dance:

I think I can smell a bit powdery when it is on my fingers.
I have a bottle of lq soap that is sandlewood and it is my first smelling of it and I like it.
This smells just like it.
I too am not good at describing, but I smell a bit piney smokey burny smell (if that makes ANY sense).

I will try it today in a Salt bar, HP. how much PPO do you all use for Sandalwood as I think it is a strong FO ?

The Palm I did on the 19th has mellowed out with cure , hp, non-salt bar. I may have soaped it too high a temp and that gave off the strong perfume.

I did Mango on the 15th, HP , non-salt bar, added after cook at about 170 degrees. Smells the same, good, fruity.

"I have two pounds of Gemlite Sandalwood and use it successfully. It's the only one I have from them (I think).
A straight sandalwood it is not, it's a sexy lovely blend of amber, black pepper and sandalwood.
Blends nicely, I haven't noticed A and always color, so hard to say about D."

"I haven't used the Sandalwood but they say it's identical to the real thing too."

This is from the Dish, 2 people. Others have said they hated their stuff and just pitched it. If figure that I don't like some scents but that doesn't mean other will hate it, they might love it. Like Neroli, I HATE IT !

I also hate Neroli. Last night I though their Cardamom did not smell like Cardamom, but this morning I opened the baggie I had put the perfume strip in and it definitely smells like cardamom. Please update of the fo's you try. I ordered Lily of the Valley to try, figured it was worth the $12.00 risk. Can't know if you don't try.

I was just reading another review of Gemlite's sandalwood on The Dish and the poster mentioned it take a couple of weeks of cure before it becomes very nice.

I also read that one person stated the Oakmoss EO is really a fragrance, but I am not so sure. But whichever the case might be it is very close to my Oakmoss Absolute

Last edited:

Have you tried the sandalwood from Sweet Cakes? It was the first sandalwood I ever tried, and is still my favorite. I'm not sure what you mean by 'buttery', but I wouldn't say it is powdery.

Actually, the Sweetcakes Sandalwood is the one that smells fishy to me. It's not bad mixed, in small amounts, but to me, it smells like a fried fish restaurant. Lol

These are the ones I got from Gemlite. I got the 25% discount and a freebee because I spent $250, total plus the $17.52 shipping was $206.52. Not bad. I could have driven down to get it but for $18 it was worth waiting.
......................... OOB smell when I just bought them
Winter Snow=ok, peppermint , ribbon candy smell (for those that are old enough to remember)
Watermelon= ok but a bit Alc smell
Violet=Good, Floral
Sandalwood= Good, woodsy balsam pine fireplace
Rustic Citrus=Like but smells a bit like pine sol
Rain=nice clean, cotton
Pina Colada= ok no coconut smell but fruity
New Mown hay=ok ? not like cut grass or anything
Peach Petals=nice, green, but chemical smell
Peach=good
Mountain Air=good, balsam notes
Mango Tango=good, fruity drink, citrus/sweet
Mango=nice
Fresh & Clean=nice
Clean Cotton=spot on
Beach Breeze= nice
Apple Macintosh=apple not too sweet
Cool Summer Night=good, slight powdery scent
Lilac=ok, slight chemical smell
Palm =Really nice, floral, tropical flower -- Do not soap HOT

Freebee, VIXEN= LOVE it ! Floral, Musk, pumpkin - I know that sounds odd, but it's good

most of these were $15 for a #, some were a couple bucks more or less then that. Vixen was on sale for $8, wish I had picked a more expensive free bee

I just finished soaping with the Sandalwood from Gemlite. My recipe is my main 25/45 lard/tallow. Remainder oil avo, co, castor. Dual Lye with vinegar and avocado puree. I like the scent was I got it into the mold. It does accelerate and the swirl plan went out the window it is now mostly avocado green with some specks of the main color. So if you want to play with soap on a stick this fo will be more than glad to cooperate.

Last edited:
I used mine in the shower this morning. I like it.

When compared to the body wash sandalwood, Gemlite is a bit more Balsam scent and the other is more fireplace burnt wood smell (which I like).
Not sure how else to put it. I like it.

I wanted to update this a bit.

I soaped several Salt bars with their FO's. Still love the Sandalwood and a couple others, but a bunch morphed on scent for me.
I did also try in MP and that was perfectly fine and wonder if it is just the Salt bar that is my issue.
Since I plan on doing a LOT of Salt bars (we are an Ocean state ;) ) I will be selling all but a couple :( Such a shame.

Obviously they are fine for Candle FO as this is what he sells, I don't do MP and don't have the room to store these.

Back