Gelatin or hair protein in bar soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanditasr

Reaction score
I have read about gelatin being good on the skin (and it adds a lot of bounce to my hair), so I started to wonder if anyone has used gelatin in bar soap. Besides, I don't have easy access to lard or tallow or suet, so I am hoping that the addition of this animal protein to an otherwise vegan soap (with palmolein as the saturated fat) may simulate the effect of lard/tallow somewhat?

Does anyone have any experience with this? How much gelatin does one use --- say, per 100 grams of lye, or maybe per 100 ml of liquid? (I guess I could use an egg/egg yolk instead, but I am paranoid I might end up with scrambled egg, or that it might go rotten while curing!)

Speaking of animal protein, I came across this old thread where someone used human hair in the lye, in order to add protein: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/not-sure-if-this-is-gross-but.44623/. And cat's hair, here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/hair.48777/#post-454442.
I didn't want to revive the old threads (and the OP is no longer active), so I'm wondering if anyone else has done this. Does it really add a significant amount of protein? If yes, how does one even go about "measuring" how much hair (or fur) to add?

Last edited:
I would rather use raw silk fibers, than human hair in soap. You dissolve the silk fibers in lye water before adding it to oils. As far as gelatin, I have never read or heard of it being used in cp soap, so I can't give any advice on that.;)

I would rather use raw silk fibers, than human hair in soap. You dissolve the silk fibers in lye water before adding it to oils. As far as gelatin, I have never read or heard of it being used in cp soap, so I can't give any advice on that.;)
So I can just use the strands from any off-white silk outfit that I've condemned?

If it is pure silk, yes. I was referring to Tussah silk fibers. I have read of people using scraps from old silk garments. The question for me would be what else was included in the manufacture of the garment, polyester, sizing, dyes, etc.

I accidentally stumbled on a pretty good lard replacement with hydrogenated soy, palm and sweet almond oils (no signs of DOS). It was a specialty butter and I only had the sap value to go by, so it will take me a while to replicate it, but a step in the right direction.

I've tried raw tussah silk in soap, and although I like it, it doesn't replicate the feel of animal fats. I hadn't thought to use gelatin, now I have to try! I'll skip the cat hair though.... too bad, because I have tons of it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you come up with. Good luck!

I missed your reference to the use of eggs. I have made egg soap using the whole egg. I removed the stringy part of the egg, (chalazoe), and beat my egg well, using a tiny part of the oils and a stick blender. I then added the well beaten egg to my oils and stick blended before adding the lye solution and additives. IMO egg soap is great after the cure. I used a combination of citric EOs to cover the slight sulfur odor.

I missed your reference to the use of eggs. I have made egg soap using the whole egg. I removed the stringy part of the egg, (chalazoe), and beat my egg well, using a tiny part of the oils and a stick blender. I then added the well beaten egg to my oils and stick blended before adding the lye solution and additives. IMO egg soap is great after the cure. I used a combination of citric EOs to cover the slight sulfur odor.
Thanks. Yes, I did see your post in another thread.

I have read about gelatin being good on the skin (and it adds a lot of bounce to my hair), so I started to wonder if anyone has used gelatin in bar soap. ... Does anyone have any experience with this? How much gelatin does one use --- say, per 100 grams of lye, or maybe per 100 ml of liquid? (I guess I could use an egg/egg yolk instead, but I am paranoid I might end up with scrambled egg, or that it might go rotten while curing!)
I have used gelatin to make Jello soap for my "boys" -- 1 grandson & 2 grand-nephews -- they love to get it out and play with it! Whenever my Dear Heart's nails start cracking, we make Jello! LOL It works! Jello contains 2 grams of protein -- plus a lot of other stuff you don't want in your soap. I see no reason not to try it in soap. Knox (plain) gelatin comes in packets. I would try dissolving the contents of one packet in either the lye solution (as we do with Tussah silk) or to the melted oils (as we do with many other addivites). Your call.

FYI: Adding an Egg (whole or yolk): Beat it into some castor oil and add it at the end, before pouring into the mold. OR... To temper it, with or without castor, beat it with a fork and then take some of the warmed oils, beat in a little at a time, before pouring it back into the rest of the oils. SB for one full minute to get it fully incorporated, before adding the lye solution to the oils. NOTE: You could always use powdered egg. ;)

Knox (plain) gelatin comes in packets. I would try dissolving the contents of one packet in either the lye solution (as we do with Tussah silk) or to the melted oils (as we do with many other addivites). Your call.

FYI: Adding an Egg (whole or yolk): ... and then take some of the warmed oils, beat in a little at a time, before pouring it back into the rest of the oils... ;)

Thanks. Gelatin is my first choice because I bought a large packet of it on discount! (I always buy the unflavoured, unsweetened one.) To make dessert, I use one level tablespoon for two cups (480 ml) of liquid. I'll probably use the same gelatin:liquid proportion in the soap.

As for the egg: Even though I'll not try this immediately, I have a question. I typically soap at room temperature, so my oils are not warm at the time of mixing. Is it OK to mix the egg yolk into soft oils at room temperature? Or does it have to be mixed into warm oils to get "cooked" to some extent?

You do not want to cook your egg. I would mix the well beaten egg with a small amount of liquid oil from your recipe and then stick blend it into the other oils before adding the lye solution. You can also use zany's suggestion and add the egg/oil mixture at thin trace.

You do not want to cook your egg. I would mix the well beaten egg with a small amount of liquid oil from your recipe and then stick blend it into the other oils before adding the lye solution. You can also use zany's suggestion and add the egg/oil mixture at thin trace.
Thanks. Suits me fine, considering that I mix everything at room temperature!

Thanks. Suits me fine, considering that I mix everything at room temperature!

I'm not sure, but I believe you have consume the gelatin for it to be effective. I do consume two tablespoons daily in a smoothie for my nails & hair and it seems to be working. I don't see how it could possibly harm the soap but I think if you don't consume it, it's being wasted. I'm new to soapmaking so please forgive me if I overstepped.

I'm not sure, but I believe you have consume the gelatin for it to be effective. I do consume two tablespoons daily in a smoothie for my nails & hair and it seems to be working. I don't see how it could possibly harm the soap but I think if you don't consume it, it's being wasted. I'm new to soapmaking so please forgive me if I overstepped.
I agree that the effect is better when it is consumed. But I'm tempted to try it in soap, considering that it works well when I apply it to my hair.

I agree that the effect is better when it is consumed. But I'm tempted to try it in soap, considering that it works well when I apply it to my hair.

Well it certainly can't hurt and may do just great. For me, I was losing my hair by the bunches. Have been on the gelatin for about 6 months and I still lose my hair but very little, not so much on the nails. Good luck with yours.

Well it certainly can't hurt and may do just great. For me, I was losing my hair by the bunches. Have been on the gelatin for about 6 months and I still lose my hair but very little, not so much on the nails. Good luck with yours.

What type of gelatin are you taking? Many forms aren't very absorbable. Try hydrolyzed collagen peptides for better absorption. ( This one is recommended by nutritionist Marie Emmerich: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3Q4086/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (There are many causes of hair loss. Gelatin won't help them all. )

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not overstepping at all, S&G... no worries. My understanding about both consuming gelatin and trying it in soap is for the protein -- good for strengthening hair and nails -- whether taking it as a supplement or applying it topically. That's just my perception. Many shampoos contain protein additives such as keratin. One can always hope! LOL

Latest posts

Back