Gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhawk

Reaction score
Hello. I am not too terribly experienced just yet and what i have been doing is ultra simple. Lard and lye and pour it in the mold. However many folks here are talking about " Gelling" Could someone please fill me in on what that is? Thank you:)

Hello and welcome! Gelling is when the soap gets warm enough once poured to go through gel state. It gets kind of a clear look to it looks like jelly. Gelling soap allows it to be unmolded sooner it speeds up the saponification process. I gel all my soaps. Some choose not to do so and put their soap in the fridge or freezer to keep it from gelling.

Here are some reasons for choosing one or the other. These two batches of my double milk bars are made from the same recipe. The ones on the left is with Gelling, and the ones on the right is not gelled and was put in Freezer/fridge. Milk reacts to the process, as well as some colors are enhanced by gelling and some are enhanced by not gelling.

(Left is Gelled, Right is not gelled and put in Freezer/fridge)
20200601_200227.jpg
20200526_122406.jpg

Thank you for the info. I usually just put my soap in silicone molds and let them hardon on the table. I am going to experiment with putting some in the fridge after pouring and keeping the molds warm longer to see what results I get.

actually I want to see if I can get my colors more clear. Fortunately I am on my own timetable so I have time to wait and time to work with unmolding. I will brew beer or make candles while I wait

Back