Gel phased before molding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Mountain Farm

Reaction score
This soap has me confused…

It’s an oatmeal and honey soap that I’ve made in the past, the only thing that happened differently was I worked at higher temps (I forgot my oils on the burner so they got to 200 degrees, I waited for them to get down a bit and then mixed them with my liquid oils and I think it was like 120-130, when I added the goat milk and lye it turned to 110, I usually go around 90 degrees or less)
When I first mixed it, everything was fine, then it turned to this super dark amber color. When I began pouring, it was almost like a super fluid hot process at Vaseline stage.
Could it have gone through gel phase before I even poured it??
I made it last night and got my wisdom teeth out this morning so I haven’t ventured to my studio yet to see if it cracked or separated or anything. My studio is very cold so I never refrigerate my soaps.
I’ll send a picture of the soap when I can make it down the stairs to my soap studio, haha!

Attachments

• B971FF7F-0F45-48D7-9D8F-8A476038A434.png
    B971FF7F-0F45-48D7-9D8F-8A476038A434.png
    410.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5B12E68A-70A5-4F70-BC45-BEABB5944B57.png
    5B12E68A-70A5-4F70-BC45-BEABB5944B57.png
    396.6 KB · Views: 0
It would take a much higher temperature to go through gel phase like a high temp hot process would to make fluid HP. It may have just color morphed on you. If you have honey in there, that’s it. Honey does this, and your soap will go back to a nice light creamy shade again after saponification.

It would take a much higher temperature to go through gel phase like a high temp hot process would to make fluid HP. It may have just color morphed on you. If you have honey in there, that’s it. Honey does this, and your soap will go back to a nice light creamy shade again after saponification.
But the last time I made it this didn’t happen.
Although this time I added the honey before the lye, maybe that’s what happened.

Is it goat milk or oat milk?
Goat

When I first mixed it, everything was fine, then it turned to this super dark amber color. When I began pouring, it was almost like a super fluid hot process at Vaseline stage.
Could it have gone through gel phase before I even poured it??
No, gel phase requires a higher temperature. The 'super dark amber color' is the result of your milk scorching. With the exception of the color (see below), my GMS batter tends to be thicker than my regular batter...you're just noticing it more because of the color.

I use fresh goat milk and do a 100% water replacement with it. I freeze the GM and use an ice bath with added salt and it takes about thirty minutes because I don't let the solution get above 70F. I then mix it with my oils/butters which are at maybe 100F and then pour my batter at around 80-85. Because I keep my temps so low, I end up with a creamy bar of soap (I don't add colorants my GMS).

Latest posts

Back