Gel Phase ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
I know that this is probably a ridiculous new person question, but I just have to know .. newbie curiosity. Why do you stop your soap from going through the gel phase? What does this add to soap, or what bad things does it prevent? When is it necessary ... when is it not? :?

It is strictly a preference.
It does allow soap to harden quicker and it will also make colors deeper.

Lucy said:
I totally agree. It's fine to gel or not gel. I've tried both, and the soaps are perfectly fine.

The only time I've had a problem is when soap has partially gelled. Then you have uneven color...but even then it's still usable. :)

I have found it makes no difference... but I make 3 or 4 gallon batches, poured into 1 gallon square molds for it to cure. After its cured I melt and pour it into molds.

I have found that remelting it is the best way to get a perfectly consistent color.

This is with 100% glycerin from my biodiesel.

MikeInPdx said:
Lucy said:

The only time I've had a problem is when soap has partially gelled. Then you have uneven color...but even then it's still usable. :)

Is this caused by inadequate insulation during the first 24-48 hours or is it just one of those things that sometimes happens? I've read articles where people use a heating pad around the soap to keep it warm and keep temp even, could this be why?

beachgurl said:
MikeInPdx said:
Lucy said:

Is this caused by inadequate insulation during the first 24-48 hours or is it just one of those things that sometimes happens? I've read articles where people use a heating pad around the soap to keep it warm and keep temp even, could this be why?

It can be caused by inadequate insulation but sometimes it just happens. It also depends on the recipe you're using....recipes with honey, sugar and milk tend to heat up more than others. It also depends on the mold you're using. I've found individual molds, unless oven proof, are easier not to gel. (I recently killed some really pretty molds by stupidly trying to gel in them....still not happy about that one :( )

I don't have a heating pad, but that's why they wrap it around the soap. Personally, when I want to force gel, I use my silicone and oven proof molds and put it into a 170 degree oven, let "bake" for one hour, and then turn off. Then I let it stand overnight. Makes soap ready to use fast. :)

That's a good idea .. the oven thing. I ordered a mold from Upland Soap Factory with a silicon liner so I should be able to throw that in the oven :D

Yeah...I like that method...it's called Cold Process Oven Process (CPOP) and it's great except when you get stupid and try and use a melt and pour mold. DUH! I still can't believe I did that.

MikeInPdx said:
its great except when you get stupid and try and use a melt and pour mold. DUH! I still can't believe I did that.

:( That doesn't sound like much fun

when you get stupid and try and use a melt and pour mold. DUH! I still can't believe I did that.

:lol: rolling in the floor slapping my leg :lol:

sounds like one of my senior moments

Sheryl

Latest posts

Back