Gel phase x 2...is it possible??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxlasxx

Reaction score
Has anyone had their soap go through gel phase twice? I wish I had taken pics of the soap I made yesterday, because I think that is what happened.
Made a very basic soap recipe using lard, OO, CO and Castor oil in a silicone mold. It didn't heat up right away...I did have it insulated in a cardboard box and a towel. After approx. 1-2 hours it appeared to change color and look translucent all the way to the edges....and was hot. It then cooled and became opaque..Later in the day, I moved the covered loaf to the counter top right on top of the dishwasher. I ran a load of dishes and didn't think to move the soap. Checked it before going to bed and saw gel phase but not all the way to the edges. Then it was back to opaqe and looking solid again early this am. The counter top was very warm above the dishwasher while it ran. Could the heat from the dishwasher have sent it into gel again? I was worried how the soap would turn out, but I just cut it. Aside from still being a little soft, it seems ok. Any thoughts on this??
Lisa FL.

I don't think I know of any of mine doing that, but I think it wouldn't be any different than rebatching some that were already gelled, just my thoughts.

I suppose anything is possible, although I've never had that happen. But youve' discovered a good place to put your soap if you want to encourage gel! I don't have a dishwasher (I know, what!!!), so I use the oven to CPOP mine, but if you coordinate your soapmaking and your dishwashing, you can save on your energy bill, and you may just have invented CPDWP, cold process dish washer process, soapmaking! lol

Latest posts

Back