Gel Phase or something else?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hella Nimbus

Reaction score
Oi,
I'm relatively new to the whole "Fat + Lye = Soap" thing and I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is Gel phase or something else. I placed the soap in the after oven right after making it for 45 minutes and my hypostasis is that this is a partial gel phase, but I don't know if that explains the obvious color difference. Looks pretty cool though. SOS, thanks

Vanilla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, it's not the "bullseye ring" of partial gel. That will always be in a circular or oval pattern, not a square/rectangular pattern like yours. What you are seeing is a color change in your soap due to exposure to air. Expect the lighter center portions to turn darker with time to have the same color as the outer "rind."

Nope, it's not the "bullseye ring" of partial gel. That will always be in a circular or oval pattern, not a square/rectangular pattern like yours. What you are seeing is a color change in your soap due to exposure to air. Expect the lighter center portions to turn darker with time to have the same color as the outer "rind."
thanks, you can imagine my face when I cut the first bar

It is a little disconcerting! My first experience with this was a soap that I colored with baking cocoa. The outside was a warm milk chocolate brown and the inside was a yucky brownish tan. I was really disappointed ... but what a change after just a few days!

Congratulations on your soap! I have a Pink Sugar that starts out like that. I love the scent. It all goes brown after a few days unless I use Vanilla Stabilizer.

Latest posts

Back