Gardener's soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first gardener's soap experimenting with borax with thanks to @earlene and others from the How much borax in cold process soap? thread. Exfoliants are poppy seeds and coffee grounds with half the loaf with 2 tsp and half the loaf with 2 tablespoons. Scented with rosemary/litsea cubeba/bergamot/basil essential oils. I like the color which came from brewed coffee (for lye mixture) and 5% red palm oil. AND CUT WITH MY FIRST REAL SLICER!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200511_195144.jpg
    20200511_195144.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Very nice! I wanted to reach out and try one! That doesn't happen often. Must be the poppy seeds. 😁 Nice clean uniform cuts too. You must be very pleased with that cutter. :thumbup:

That looks great. Let us know how you like them.
I made a gardeners soap last year for the first time (no borax, but plenty of poppy seeds / pumice). I realized poppy seeds can be a bit annoying -- in the sense that they are black and you always have to rinse the sink afterwards. But maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

ETA: very serious-looking cutter!!

Your soap looks great ! Much better than mine.... and I love the poppy seeds !
I just uploaded my photo into the files... I was a bit hasty cutting it this morning and it crumbled a bit at the end of the cut.

Your soap looks wonderful! It does look good enough to eat...LOL.

@Zing So, what do you think of the cutter? Are you pleased? Will it do everything you want it to? This is the one that shipped from Russia isn't it? (I have been stalking cutter threads because I would really like to have one but can't justify the cost at the moment! :cool: I tried to find a creepy stalker emoji, but couldn't find one that looked appropriate!)

Did you use raw coffee grounds or the ones you used to make coffee brew?
I used fresh coffee grounds. I know there are many warnings that they can 'bleed' and be too scratchy. I don't care about bleeding halos because the soap is already dark. And my hands get so dirty in the garden I'm looking for maximum scratchy.

@Zing So, what do you think of the cutter? Are you pleased? Will it do everything you want it to? This is the one that shipped from Russia isn't it? (I have been stalking cutter threads because I would really like to have one but can't justify the cost at the moment! :cool: I tried to find a creepy stalker emoji, but couldn't find one that looked appropriate!)
I got this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PHZKC6D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it was awesome on my first experience.

My first gardener's soap experimenting with borax with thanks to @earlene and others from the How much borax in cold process soap? thread. Exfoliants are poppy seeds and coffee grounds with half the loaf with 2 tsp and half the loaf with 2 tablespoons. Scented with rosemary/litsea cubeba/bergamot/basil essential oils. I like the color which came from brewed coffee (for lye mixture) and 5% red palm oil. AND CUT WITH MY FIRST REAL SLICER!!!

This soap is so pretty, and what a professional cut!!!!!

Back