Garage sale score!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisinflorida

Reaction score
I went to some garage sales this morning and the last one I went to was by an ex-soapmaker. She did melt-n-pour and had her own shop for a while. I got a big block mold, and I took a couple of her silicone molds in case I want to do any more MP. The big score was on colorants and some fragrances from Bramble Berry. I also got some additives like kelp powder and a great variety of other additives/herbs.

Then to top it all off her neighbor was over and looking at the soap stuff when I was there, and she has a shop and is trying to find another soapmaker because the supplier she had just died. Today she actually bought a few supplies at the garage sale to try to do some MP herself. We talked briefly about me possibly selling soap in her shop. I DID emphasize to her though that I am not ready to sell right now and would not be ready until next year. We will see how things go. I am not going to rush into anything even though she seemed like she was in a hurry to get something in her shop.

Chris

Way to go Chris! :) It is always so much fun finding a great buy at a garage sale or a flea market! Sounds like you have a wholesale account in the future! 8)

Paul :wink:

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I couldn't believe it. It was the last place we went to today and we were just driving around looking at the different sales. I was bummed at first because I wasn't finding what I was looking for which was mainly just stainless steel stock pots (by the way, I did not find any...oh well) but I got a lot of other good stuff.

Yep Paul, I hope the wholesale account works out. I'm not sure though because the last person did MP and I do CP. I started out with MP, but mine was very plain and not very creative. Once I started doing CP, I fell in love with that, so this lady will either buy my CP soap or she will have to find another MP soaper. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and I don't think I could get my MP soap 'good enough by my standards.' I feel that CP soap is the way to go for me.

Hopefully her customers can wait also, because realistically it may not be until next spring or summer until I can sell. I would love to be able to do it right now, but I don't have any of the business issues even started and I am still working on my 'line,' even though my line is probably different than what I would put in her store possibly in terms of scents and colors. I told her in a while I could bring her samples to try. I have plenty of soap samples to give now, but I need to reproduce some of my batches. I am just at that stage. Once I can do that for several scent/color combinations I will be much closer I think.

Chris

Back