Gallon Jug (Palm & Coconut) -- How to Prepare?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings Soap Friends, I purchased some gallon jugs of coconut oil and palm oil. They are solid. What is the best way to get them into liquid form for CP soap making? Microwave? Immerse in hot water? Something else? Thank you!

20150516_131423_resized.jpg

If they fit in the microwave then that's how I would do it. Take the lids off, melt in short bursts till liquid, mix the palm well by inverting, and pour into more manageable size jars or tubs. I like wide mouth jars or tubs that hold around 16 oz that fit easily in the microwave. That way you can melt the whole thing for a batch, or scoop only a little out if that is all you need.

You might even be able to leave them sitting on the roof of your car on a warm, sunny day. When that isn't an option, I usually fill one side of the sink with hot water and just wait for it to liquify enough to pour out.

You might even be able to leave them sitting on the roof of your car on a warm, sunny day. When that isn't an option, I usually fill one side of the sink with hot water and just wait for it to liquify enough to pour out.

I was going to suggest that, but the OP is in Michigan, not in Alabama like us! We had temps of 88 degrees last week.

I was going to suggest that, but the OP is in Michigan, not in Alabama like us! We had temps of 88 degrees last week.

I am in MI too, and we have been getting to the mid 80s lately. Its not like we are north of the Arctic circle. :p

If it is one of our cooler (like 60 ish) rainy days, a water bath on the stove or in a crock pot will work. That is how I handle my soapers choice oils

Can I just say I love Soaper's Choice oils for their quality and price point, and hate the packaging?

I tend to heat a pot of water on the stove (cool weather) and drop the oil in to melt an hour or two before I'm going to make soap. Then dry it off, shake well, and use.

In hot weather, I set it outside on the pedestal stone of my stone deck, which is dark gray and can easily hit 120 degrees. Between that and the air temperature, it melts the oil in an hour. Then clean it off to remove dust, debris, and tiny insects that found any bits of oil on the jug, and use.

I poured the melted oils into other smaller containers. I saw no reason to have to keep melting the whole batch over and over. Home Depot sells lids for their pint and quart paint mixing containers, but old lard buckets, or other things will work too.

I poured the melted oils into other smaller containers. I saw no reason to have to keep melting the whole batch over and over. Home Depot sells lids for their pint and quart paint mixing containers, but old lard buckets, or other things will work too.

Store brand food storage containers in my case. The ones that are easy to handle can accept about 2 pounds of oil or so and stack well in the cabinet where I keep my oils.

Back