Gah! DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is only the second time I've gotten DOS. This is the only bar affected in the batch. Made 2-16-16. I have no idea what happened, but needless to say, the rest are in quarantine. Should I cut off the DOS or keep it to watch?

IMG_20160413_183137009.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure. I don't know what else it would be. And I think that spot smells a little funky, but it's a honeysuckle fragrance and smells funky to me anyway - not my favorite.

ETA: The recipe was CO 12%, PKO 10%, Palm 20%, olive oil 33%, HO sunflower 10%, shea butter 10%, castor 5%, 30% lye concentration, 5% superfat. Wow, I don't usually put so many different things in my recipe. I should try this one.

Last edited:
If it smells funky, it's probably DOS. That, or its picked up some brown from a discoloring FO. That happens to my plain soaps sometimes if they get specks from my discoloring brown soaps on them.

That doesn't seems like a particularly "DOS-y" recipe except maybe the sunflower but sometimes it can be a billion things...

FYI: I have a couple of bars that have one spot of DOS on each one. They're from the same batch. I made the batch in July of last year. I noticed the DOS in December and started keeping an eye on them. I photographed them last month because I couldn't really tell if it had gotten bigger or more orange. I'll take a photo of them each month so I'll be able to compare from one month to the next. When summer hits, I'll probably leave one exposed to the air and daily weather conditions while the other is in the plastic bag, just to see how much heat and humidity affect the DOS.

Hmmm... your recipe looks fine to me. There is a good chance that it might be some of your FO, especially since you said the FO smells funky to you anyway. I've had that happen once or twice where the FO was not mixed in as well as I thought, and my soap ended up with a few spots that looked like DOS in a couple of places, but turned out to be the FO. I found out it was the FO when I smelled the spots- they smelled more strongly of the FO than the other parts of my soap, and when I rubbed my finger over the spots, they felt oily and my finger ended up smelling strongly of the FO. lol

If DOS, is it possible that one of your oils may have been getting too old, or else maybe the bar of soap came into contact with something DOS-causing? Un-lined metal curing racks will do that.

If it's DOS, this is just me, but I would just cut the spot out and keep the bar for my own use.

Irishlass :)

If DOS, is it possible that one of your oils may have been getting too old, or else maybe the bar of soap came into contact with something DOS-causing? Un-lined metal curing racks will do that.

Irishlass :)

Been packing up my soaping operation and just threw out a metal baking rack that had started to get funky and rust. I always line my shelves with freezer paper, so soaps are fine. All the rest of my bakers shelves are coated, but the one uncoated one is definitely one for the trash. I'll stick to coated ones after this.

And yes, I would definitely watch the age and quality of the oils. Some age better than others, and I've used ROE to whole bottles to prolong life, but always do a good sniff before I use any that are older than I'm comfortable with. Always watch the expiry dates on the bottles and am paranoid after that.

My oils should all be fine. The sunflower was new. Now that this bar has been sitting out for awhile it does smell better, so maybe not DOS after all. By funky in reference to the FO, I just meant honeysuckle - not high on my list, but I have a friend that loves it. I line my metal curing rack with plastic mesh, but it is possible that a crumble from a discoloring FO bar could have been left behind. I wouldn't think I would have set it on it's top, but that could have happened.

I think I'll just keep this one for observation. If it doesn't appear to get worse, I'll figure it is something other than DOS. I'm ok with that, especially if none of the others are affected.

Thanks everyone!

That doesn't seems like a particularly "DOS-y" recipe except maybe the sunflower but sometimes it can be a billion things...

If it's DOS I suppose it's caused by bad luck. :) HO sunflower is one of the most stable oils, though when buying it from anyone but Soaper's Choice I'm a little paranoid about getting the wrong thing.

Latest posts

Back