Fuzzy substance on soap while curing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdelirious

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My most recent batch of CP Charcoal soap has developed a fuzzy, dust-like substance on its surface while curing. It behaves like dust and can be easily wiped off, however when i rub it between my fingers, it feels like soap. The soap was curing inside of a cabinet, so I dont believe it is dust (also placed a bar inside of a box and the fuzz returned after 2 weeks). Another interesting note, is that it only formed where the soap was cut – not on the outside edges that touched the mold.

I suspected it could be lye crystals, but I used a lye calculator and the ratios seem correct for 6% superfatting. Should I be superfatting higher?

The only changes in the recipe from last time were the following:
- Increased essential oils from 8oz to 9oz for a 10lb batch
- Increased charcoal powder from 8 to 9tbsp

Pictures below:
FTD_Saop_Issues.jpg

FTD_Soap_Issues2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Looks like ash to me as well. Just cosmetic. You can wash or steam it off. As long as there's no zap you are fine. Also, please don't post the same question in two different sections. I deleted the other. You will get more responses if it's in one spot.

Welcome to the forum!! Take a minute and go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Hi mx6inpenn & shunt2011,

Thanks for your quick feedback! I keep my soap covered and insulted for 3 days before unmolding; would it be helpful to cover the bars after cutting to minimize ash? Does beeswax actually help, or is it a myth?

Hi mx6inpenn & shunt2011,

Thanks for your quick feedback! I keep my soap covered and insulted for 3 days before unmolding; would it be helpful to cover the bars after cutting to minimize ash? Does beeswax actually help, or is it a myth?

I can't help you with that. I rarely get ash. With the exception of my salt bars. I could never leave my soap covered and insulated for 3 days, I wouldn't be able to cut them. I cut at 10-18 hours. I leave them covered until they have finished gelling and cooled down. After that they are cut an put out to cure on my racks.

I do spray the tops with 91% alcohol. Some swear by using beeswax. I've only tested that once with salt bars but I still got a bit of ash.

I never got ash on any of my soaps, but a recent batch using AC is developing some. After they are fully cured, it can just be rinsed off so I'm not worried about it.

I would definitely not cover the cut bars. They need open air flow to cure properly.

Also wanted to comment on your question about superfat. Most folks use the standard 5% but some go lower (to avoid oily buildup in pipes) and some go higher (thinking it will be more moisturizing). Given the amount of coconut oil in your recipe, I would either be inclined to increase the SF or decrease the coconut . . . that much would take my hide off but some could use it without issue.

Back