Fuzzy dusty soda ash??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claudsoap

Reaction score
My sea salt soap is forming a fuzzy, dusty layer ontop while curing. Ive researched it and found some other people have had the same problem, but im not sure how to fix it. They've said its soda ash.

I mix between 90-100 degrees. I bring it to a light trace. I use a loaf mold so I have to cut after 40mins. The soap is still very hot and I believe its still going through gel phase when i cut. I dont insulate. I make a similar soap without activated charcoal and this never happens. So im wondering if thats the culprit.

My recipe...
Coconut oil 80%
Olive oil 15%
Avocado Oil 5$
75% sea salt
3 tbs activated charcoal
essential oils of Eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint

Id really love some advice!

Sounds like ash to me. My salt soap seems to get ash the most frequently if I don't keep it covered. I too use a loaf mold and make sure it gels. However, I don't cut for about 3 hours then I cover it and keep the air from getting to it. Because it's not fully saponified and probably exposed to the air it's getting ash. I've found keeping it from being exposed to the air makes a big difference. My recipe is very similar to yours but I use Avocado not olive and castor oil at 5%. I only use 35-50% salt.

ASHH ASSH WE ALL FALL DOWN steam.. does the trick.. cover soap in a box with a hot cup of water and allow the steam to take away the ash... high humidity helps with stopping the ash..

Aster the fact you can steam the soaps like Zolveria said, rinse the soaps after cure, or try 90% (or higher) rubbing alcohol.

If you choose to rinse the soaps off let then dry for another day or two before your usual packing. Both the rinsing and rubbing alcohol need a slight scrubbing to help get the ask off.

*disclaimer: I’ve never had noticeable effect with any ash removal ideas but I am too lazy to care. It disappears after one or two uses and usually highlights the top design anyway. If you sell or want your bars absolutely perfect you have a start to figure out what works for you. Gel and covering works for me when I feel that it needs to matter, less water helps as well (I tend to use 30-33%)

Back