Fun with Soap - Experiment in Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you KimW. That's the one thing it took me awhile to get used to with our HE washer; no hot water rinse; it's just not even an option, unless I were to turn off the cold water at the connection. Then it would take forever in addition to how long a load already takes. But I adapted and don't miss it as much as I did in the beginning.

To make up for it, I use the custom setting that allows for a pre-wash, which I can set to hot, thus getting two wash cycles and then the extra rinse cycle added on top of that. For towels that need the extra heat, that what works for me. Getting the soapy residue out of towels is what keeps them soft, not fabric softener. I never use fabric softener.

I made 100% Coconut Oil soap yesterday with 0% SF so I could swap it in for the Fels/Zote combo. Interested to see if it's better or not.
I’ve been using this laundry detergent as well. In the beginning only with Fels Napa. For the last year I’ve been making my own 100% CO soap for my detergent and I love it ! Works just as good as before. My family has clean clothes!

I used Fels Naptha for years, as well. What I noticed when I stopped using it for awhile was that the Fels Naptha had really caused my clothes to fade. It was really noticeable when I washed any reds or dark oranges; all the stuff in the load came out with a tinge of peach or pink or rust that never stopped happening as long as I used the fels-naptha soap. I still have wash clothes, rags and throw rugs that changed color from those loads. I didn't mind for the most part, because they blended well with the color scheme of my decor.

Back